Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
amazinblazin
    Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:28 pm

So today I had a welding assessment for a company I interviewed for. I would like some feedback on this. It was a 3G open root with 1/2 6061 aluminum using 4043 filler. It was 13 stringers total. Please keep in mind I have no aluminum experience and I mean NO experience and I winged this with the help of the forum and Jody's videos. I know its not pretty but I'm proud of it for damn sure! I had no TIG finger and it was blazing hot so it was all done without propping up on something (I know not smart but hey it is what it is). Thanks
Attachments
aluminum welding assessment.JPG
aluminum welding assessment.JPG (101.49 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

I have almost zero experience with Al as well, the thing i noticed is that there seems to be some sort of adhesive on the plates, from tape or something. That sort of stuff needs to be removed with a solvent of some kind, al does not bode contaminants well. As for the weld, doesn't look too bad, especially for an al newb with knuckle of fire. lol

Mick
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

amazinblazin wrote:So today I had a welding assessment for a company I interviewed for. I would like some feedback on this. It was a 3G open root with 1/2 6061 aluminum using 4043 filler. It was 13 stringers total. Please keep in mind I have no aluminum experience and I mean NO experience and I winged this with the help of the forum and Jody's videos. I know its not pretty but I'm proud of it for damn sure! I had no TIG finger and it was blazing hot so it was all done without propping up on something (I know not smart but hey it is what it is). Thanks
=====

Amazinblazin.

I suppose it depends upon what the employee was looking for, but the weld photographed would probably not pass the visual inspection for most published codes and specifications. My suggestion is to try to inform yourself in advance of what type of test joint you will be required to weld.

Enjoy welding and welcome to the forum.
Would welcome reading from you as your welding progresses.

Tanks.
Alexa
Last edited by Alexa on Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amazinblazin

Alexa, You are very correct but this is the catch.... It was a welding raw ability test. Most of the guys that were coming in didn't have any experience with aluminum mainly carbon and stainless. The company reps even let people do "2nd Chance" where if you couldn't complete the vertical you could flip it over and do two fillet welds on the backing strip. In addition they send you to a three week program for aluminum and that's all I would need to figure the rest out. Welding processes Alexa, in regards to this test?
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

It shows a trainable welder that knows how to strike an arc and has the idea of 3g. I would hire you on that weld. Otherwise they would ask for min 5 years experience to start with.

3g aluminum TIG is a tough nut to start out with. I believe you did very well considering. Congratulations for getting thru it.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
amazinblazin

Thank you very much TamJeff! From what I gathered that is what they were looking for. I'm sure if guys came it and just blazed it and did it perfect they would be first in line but it seems like they just want guys that can be trained and have experience with TIG. Like I said before who ever gets hired goes through a three week 8/hr day aluminum course. I can honestly say that I really enjoyed doing that 3G. It was a huge challenge but I am happy with how it turned out. If I get hired I think I could make it look a hundred times better with some practice. Thanks for the positive feedback!
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I'd have to say given that with everything that was stacked against you it's really not too shabby - plenty of guys new on here buy a tig & spend a week or till the first gas bottle runs out before asking for help & never manage this in the 1G position ! - you came along to a set you probably never seen with the pressure of knowing you were watched likely without any help or hints to see how you made out - the weld is not "pretty" and is not likely to pass any sort of test - but to stack that many stringers vertical up without propping is a real achievement - if you could have propped / ground the fill beads flat before doing the cap runs or done the joint with fewer runs I've no doubt it would look way better - the fact the plates show no sign of cleaning also hindered you - I would have thought solvent & a stainless brush would have been made available - but then again maybe this was all a ploy to see just how much you knew & you had to ask for them - they can see from the piece that you got the basics of setting the machine & running beads in a controlled manner in the vertical position - I bet the root & lower fill runs looked better than the finished weld - I bet if you were allowed another shot you'd do way better - if their intention is just to figure if it's worth their time & $ to train you for the work they do I'd say your in with a good shot - the fact you learned this much just from watching Jody says alot about his videos.
Good luck & I hope they give you a chance.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Nothing's ever as easy as Jody makes it look, is it?

For a "skills assesment" to get in to a course, you're ahead of the competition.

I wish I had some pictures of the dog sh!t I've seen that passes for structural welding. I might... I'll dig. I've seen worse results from supposedly experienced welders.

I'm sure you noticed, the puddle got easier to work once the metal was hot.

Next time you do a sample weld like this, tack or clamp some scrap bullsh!t to the bench/stand/whatever to prop on, and you'll be amazed at the difference a steady-rest makes.

Good on ya!, and Good luck with the assessment!

Steve S
amazinblazin

Thanks Otto Nobedder You are defiantly right Jody makes it look super easy! I feel pretty confident that the company will hire me on. Like I said before they send every welder through a three week long class for aluminum for the company before they start working at the shop. I will have my tig finger for sure next time. I'm pretty sure I could have been way more consistent if I wasn't hovering over a hot plate. Thanks for the positive words!
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

MAN! In school, after my first aluminum bead, my teacher said I had a knack for TIG. It looked NOWHERE near that good. NICE first run!
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press
amazinblazin

Thank you all for the awesome feedback!! The HR lady told me I made the cut and I should be starting in october! Im once again thanks for the positive support! I'll be sure to post improvments!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Congratulations!

I thought you had it, but I'm not the judge that counts. 8-)

Yes, please keep us updated!

Steve S
amazinblazin

Thanks otto! Im super excited to go down a new path in my career and Im glad that it passes what ever they were wanting. Give me a little practice and a tig finger and I'll show you a decent weld! Looking forward to posting some better looking welds!
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Ha! Congratulations! I had a feeling you would get it.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Good job, man! Good luck and get you a TIG finger or two. Aluminum burns suck.
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press