Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
monky-73
    Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:47 am

Hello all,
I am new to this forum. I was just wondering what is the difference between a green generator & an old generator? Can I run my power ultra 205p on a Lincoln 225 220v welder generator?

Thanks for taking your time to help me.
Mike
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

I think they main difference is that newer generators provide clean smooth power that is required for newer electronics, I was told that you need to plug and inline inverter thing to be able to use an older gen on new stuff safely, but not sure. there have been topics, on that before Ill see if i can find them.

PS I will more this topic to the tig thread, as this is the "forum support and feed back' area.

Mick
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... ors#p15822

Here is a detailed thread on this topic.

Mick
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

So long as the output from the engine drive is adequate for the inverter then yes - I don't have the specs for both your machines - look at the back of the inverter for " total absorbed " power rating - I'm guessing about 5 Kw for that size machine - now look at the output plate on the engine drive - if it is at least 1.5 times bigger ( ie 7.5 Kw) then you should have no problem - other than disable auto idle on the engine drive - this will mess with frequency & may cause the inverter to shut down - you should also test the frequency of the engine drive with a meter or the engine with a rev counter before using.

Otto was suggesting a much higher factor than 1.5 in the other thread & I totally agree in principle on why he was saying a factor of 4 - but I do think in real world terms it's not practical as with the above example you would be looking for 20 Kw !- with older gas powered sets it was more of a problem with maintaining revs under load - with newer sets especially diesel powered - they are governed better & the flywheel weight of a diesel plus the rotor weight on engine drives really does help.
I've run a Kubota power Lincoln ranger that has an auxiliary 240 volt 9Kw output & had a mig set connected to do some hard facing as I don't have a remote cord wire setup for this & had no problems - not sure of what I was drawing as the mig varies so much depending on settings.