Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Nils
    Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Going to buy a Everlast 185 TIG inverter for the mobile biz. This unit does not come with a pedal though. Also, the pedal overrides the amp setting on the panel giving you full power range. So it is not limited by the setting on the machine. I want to get a pedal for it, it needs to be a good one, and I don't want to spend a fortune. Any recommendations?
Everlast PowerTig 250EX, PowerTig 185 Micro, PowerArc 160STH, Miller Trailblazer 301G, Millermatic 140 Auto-Set
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Well at risk of sounding dumb whats wrong with either of the pedals that Everlast offer - on their site they have a cheaper import model & a US made one - neither appear overpriced & I'm sure if you call them a good deal can be arranged if purchased together with the welder - plus you get the right connector & resistance to suit the machine - from what people are saying their pretty good on customer service - if you get a pedal from a 3rd party you got to know it's going to match your machine - seems like a straight forward deal unless you got issues with their pedals from previous experience.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Is there a particular reason you dont want to buy the recommended pedal from everlast?

Seen down the bottom of this link.

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/Power ... 10-pd.html

Mick
Nils
    Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 pm

I just don't know anything about pedals. I haven't I ever bought one and wanted to do some homework. The pedal that came with my PowerTig 250EX is okay but not the best. It slides around on the concrete and the adjustment range is very quick. Its like High, Medium, and Low. So I thought I would ask the forum, but am surprised how few opinions there are on this subject.
Everlast PowerTig 250EX, PowerTig 185 Micro, PowerArc 160STH, Miller Trailblazer 301G, Millermatic 140 Auto-Set
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

You could always attach some rubber sheet to the bottom of your pedal, to help it grip the concrete.
and if you aren't happy with the adjustment range, change out the potentiometer for one more to your style.
The Everlast pedal has five wires, two for the switch and three for the potentiometer. Photo attached.
Nils wrote:I just don't know anything about pedals. I haven't I ever bought one and wanted to do some homework. The pedal that came with my PowerTig 250EX is okay but not the best. It slides around on the concrete and the adjustment range is very quick. Its like High, Medium, and Low. So I thought I would ask the forum, but am surprised how few opinions there are on this subject.
Attachments
Everlast Foot Pedal.JPG
Everlast Foot Pedal.JPG (53.43 KiB) Viewed 884 times
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Do you know which of the two Everlast pedals you already own - there is not a huge difference on price & they ( list off their site $30 ) state one as "import " and the other better quality they also state better " linearity" - which I think implies you may have the cheap one & it's known not to be very progressive - worth talking to them first - and as WekSpace said - it would be easy to make it non skid with some rubber or stick on feet - even screwed on rubber door buffers work pretty well - the better one may even come with non slip base - if it does'nt tell them - most of these knew firms trying to carve a slice of the market are happy to change small detail to improve the product & sales - the Chinese factories that build the stuff really try - but they just produce a product to someone else's specs - no one really tests the stuff by using it in working conditions - I think the big names do considerably more real world testing prior to new model launches so usually don't require customers to fault find for them - it's one of the reasons you can buy something like 10 import 200amp tigs to 1 Dynasty - it would be great if the importers / spec providers did some actual work with the units for their percentage before launching things.
But it's not just a problem with foreign origin product - look at Micro soft !!!!!!!!!
echosixmike
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 am

I would simply skip the hassle and heartache and get one from SSC Controls. S/F....Ken M
Red: PowerMIG 300, Square Wave 175
Blue: DEL200, Syncro250, XMT300
Green: STH160
Black: Tweco 181i Fabricator
Oddball: Craftsman HF unit
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Not 100% positive, but I think my son mentioned that SSC makes the better of the two pedals for Everlast.
Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len