Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
fern78
    Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:02 pm

Need an opinion on a possible purchase of a used unit. I came across an older Miller EconoTig AC/DC . I would love to get my feet wet on a affordable unit before spending big bucks. The problem is that it does not come with a torch, foot control or bottle/valve, Basiclly just the welder but for $150 bucks . Or am i going to have more invested than what its worth or just save the headache.
Like i said i just want to get my feet wet with a good welder for a good price.
Thanks for the feedback.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

A buck-fifty is a great price, if the seller can prove it works.

You can find the rest on e-bay, including the bottle (note the "certification date" on the bottle, unless you're buying a lease, and can simply swap it at your local weld supply).

I'd hunt on e-bay, and add up the costs, but I'm sure you'll still come in far cheaper than "new and complete".

Steve S
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum 78.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Nils
    Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 pm

$150? Caveat emptor, baby!
Everlast PowerTig 250EX, PowerTig 185 Micro, PowerArc 160STH, Miller Trailblazer 301G, Millermatic 140 Auto-Set
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Nils wrote:$150? Caveat emptor, baby!
Exactly why I added, "If the seller can prove it works"...

Steve S.
fern78
    Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:02 pm

Well I said what the hell and got it. Ended up getting it for $100 bucks brought it home and plugged it in . Fan works and sounds like it hums good but without any leads or torch I just have no idea yet. When I engage it on stick weld the contactor makes a loud buzzing noise so I ordered a new one. Can you guys think of a way to test it before I start dumping money on a foot controller,torch,and bottle?
Thanks for the replies.