Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Nils
    Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 pm

The first unit I received had a few problems and was promptly exchanged by the Everlast customer service. Alex and Oleg were extremely responsive to this situation and really put a priority on getting me a new unit.

The torch supplied is really nice with a clothe-type zippered jacket. Just be sure all the fittings and cup are screwed in tight.

The optional SSC pedal is well worth the money. Unlike Everlast claims, the pedal is subordinate to the main amp control on the panel. The pedal will not exceed the panel setting. This is a good thing, and is also true with the standard pedal.

Using the 120 volt pigtail, the max amps is 127, while running on 240 volts it easily makes 185 amps.

The DC mode is very smooth.

In stick mode I was very pleased at how nice it ran 6010 rod. The 6010 rod lit up just like a match. Awesome! My PowerArc 160 does not like 6010 at all. I was quite surprised to learn on this unity that AC is also available in stick mode, complete with full frequency adjustment.

In TIG mode the AC frequency is a wonderful feature on this unit. Though there are no exact incremental settings, it is easy to set it based on feel for the correct setting, and I'm certain with time I will know very well where to set the knob. At its lowest setting of 20hz, it was like running in pulse mode. At its highest setting of 250hz, the torch really screams and gets warm fast. While running at max frequency setting the balance away from EP does help the heat issue.

The HF start works very well. I have not worked the lift start yet.

The pigtail, regulator, and power cord are good quality.

A word of caution should be mentioned about the cooling fan's exhaust ports on the front and sides of this unit. Being certain your torch is clear of this wind is a big deal.

For the price I would highly recommend this unit. Problems are a way of life but the Everlast customer service and tech support are there for you all the way.

Nils
Everlast PowerTig 250EX, PowerTig 185 Micro, PowerArc 160STH, Miller Trailblazer 301G, Millermatic 140 Auto-Set
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Thanks, man. I'm saving up to get one of these little machines and it's good to hear from a board member here that they work well. I tend to trust the word of folks here more than random online reviewers.
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press
DSL power
    Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:39 pm

Glad to hear it as well! I am trying to decide between the 185 since it would be nice to have ac or the 200t for its size and features even though its dc only. I can always use my 255ext for ac if needed.
Miller Trailblazer 302 EFI
Suitcase Extreme 8VS
ThermalArc Cutmaster 52
Everlast Power I-TIG 255EXT
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Nils,
Thank you very much for the review on your Everlast machine. I have been curious about Everlast and enjoy reading reviews, good or bad.
-Jonathan
chrism1791
    Tue May 27, 2014 5:46 pm

Thank you for this quick review of the everlast. It is nice to find a forum were every other second someone shouts out Lincoln miller esab.lol
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

chrism1791 wrote:Thank you for this quick review of the everlast. It is nice to find a forum were every other second someone shouts out Lincoln miller esab.lol
HTP!!! /end shouting]

:D

but seriously, why keep the torch away from the air vents? I would always use the vents to my advantage when I was running an aircooled tig setup previously. I would let the torch hang in the air stream and it would cool it off when it got too hot.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Oscar wrote:
chrism1791 wrote:Thank you for this quick review of the everlast. It is nice to find a forum were every other second someone shouts out Lincoln miller esab.lol
HTP!!! /end shouting]

:D

but seriously, why keep the torch away from the air vents? I would always use the vents to my advantage when I was running an aircooled tig setup previously. I would let the torch hang in the air stream and it would cool it off when it got too hot.
My guess is during his early tests, the unit was sitting on the welding surface, and he welded to close to the exhaust...

As soon as he builds a cart (perfect first project for a new machine), problem solved...

Steve S
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote: My guess is during his early tests, the unit was sitting on the welding surface, and he welded to close to the exhaust...
Bingo. Been there, still doing that. A small piece of sheet metal makes an instant air baffle.

Cheers,
Richard
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I was seriously considering this unit as my next big purchase. I love my Everlast Super Ultra 205 but have one question. I have the standard foot pedal for my machine but when I plug it in the panel automatically goes to the lowest setting so how do you set your max amps on the panel? Thanks for the review.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt