Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
450dualsport
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:46 am

Does anyone know what alloy would be considered "food grade". My wife wants a custom sized cake pan and I don't know what alloy would be safe to use for baking cakes in (since I will be eating the cake :) ). I have done quite a bit of searching on Google, but can't really find the answer.

Thanks.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Isn't aluminium cookware linked to Alzheimer's disease?
On the good side of things, you will always meet new friends. :lol:
450dualsport

WerkSpace wrote:Isn't aluminium cookware linked to Alzheimer's disease?
:lol:
I can't remember... :lol:
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Aluminium has been ruled out in Alzheimers, but there are some other concerns. Most aluminium cook ware is anodised after the fact. what exactly is the shape, you would be surprised at the vast shapes on the market.
450dualsport

weldin mike 27 wrote:what exactly is the shape, you would be surprised at the vast shapes on the market.
These are very basic pans. They are rectangular, just bent up with a sheet metal brake with the corners welded up. I may have to call the manufacturer of the pans I am trying to duplicate and see if they will tell me the alloy.
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

Aluminum is ver rarely used to food grade applicationd because of how poris of a material it is. Almost all food stuff will be 304 or 316 because it can be cleaned easily. The pores ib the alumibum will trap food particles and could lead to bacteria gtowth.
grinder
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:19 pm

ajlskater1 wrote:Aluminum is ver rarely used to food grade applicationd because of how poris of a material it is. Almost all food stuff will be 304 or 316 because it can be cleaned easily. The pores ib the alumibum will trap food particles and could lead to bacteria gtowth.
Nordicware been around a long time. Lots of die casting done there.
http://www.nordicware.com/store/product ... 26B942890D

Aluminum is great for bakeware, not great for high acid foods though, it'll make my red sauce taste tinny..... or maybe it's from hanging my head over welding fumes.

Seen one reference on Amazon to 3003 h14 being used but probably more for forming properties.

But then there is this, "The thermally efficient 3004 alloy evenly distributes heat from the source to the rim. The high quality of this prime aluminum alloy, compared to softer 3003 or 1100 alloy material, means greater dent-resistance and durability
from this link
http://www.usaqualitycookware.com/product/EW60.html

Mc-Carr has 3003 sheet
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-alumi ... ts/=pqk757

Whatever you decide to buy you could get a material cert to be sure it's what you chose.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Do them in stainless.
450dualsport

Thanks for the links grinder. We called the manufacturer and found out that they use 3003.
Antorcha wrote:Do them in stainless.
I thought about stainless as that would probably be the best choice. I can weld .065 aluminum with reasonable results, but my sub 1/8 stainless welding, well, let's just say it needs some work! :)