Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Zach7x
    Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:21 pm

Ok I will try to keep this as short as possible.
I have had problems with this machine from day one, It has never welded smooth, it has bad arc wander and always acts like the Gas is off. Really bad pourosity.
480 volt also tried 220,208,110
Argon (and is on and flowing) also tried weld mix.
Clean mild steel
DC setting
All connections are tight
Leads are new condition
Tried several different tungsten and grinding it on its own stone the correct way
Good ground, Good power source, good gas press.
To sum it up I have checked every variable possible and the best way I can explain what its doing... It welds like the gas is off, burns the tungsten and bad pitting in the weld.

Called Miller, and they say take it back where you got it... Did that but they told me its good to go.

Lost
Thanks Zach
    Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 am

What's your flow rate?
Have you checked for leaks in the lines?
Nick
Zach7x

I have tried everything from really low to cranked up.
Yes, no leaks
    Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:48 pm

Zach7x wrote:I have tried everything from really low to cranked up.
Yes, no leaks
Hi Zack
Might sound daft but do you have the correct size collet in, and also check the torch head and confirm the tungsten is centerd in the cup, I had same type of issue and did not realise the collet was wrong size and that caused the tungsten to to be off one side, and I only noticed it when the arc wondered on to the ceramic cup.
Just a thought mate.
Marc. Aussie on the loose

Zach7x wrote:Ok I will try to keep this as short as possible.
I have had problems with this machine from day one, It has never welded smooth, it has bad arc wander and always acts like the Gas is off. Really bad pourosity.
Clean mild steel
DC setting
Leads are new condition
Tried several different tungsten and grinding it on its own stone the correct way
To sum it up I have checked every variable possible and the best way I can explain what its doing... It welds like the gas is off, burns the tungsten and bad pitting in the weld.

Called Miller, and they say take it back where you got it... Did that but they told me its good to go.

Lost
Thanks Zach
One more suggestion is take it back to the place you got it and ask them to demonstrate with the unit and actually run some welds, if possible take everything with you leads, gas, torch that way you are sure to be comparing apples with apples.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Marc Godwin wrote:
Clean mild steel
DC setting
Leads are new condition

Lost
Thanks Zach
One more suggestion is take it back to the place you got it and ask them to demonstrate with the unit and actually run some welds, if possible take everything with you leads, gas, torch that way you are sure to be comparing apples with apples.
+1 definitely this^^^^

You are not telling them they are wrong, you just need help with your total setup - bring it all with you including the tank.

You did already try a different tank that is known to be good right?
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
lazerbeam
    Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:50 am

How are you verifying your gas flow? I don't know if Miller still sends pressure gauges with there gas welders but they need to be switched to a flow-meter asap. It really sounds like a gas flow problem.

lazerbeam wrote:How are you verifying your gas flow? I don't know if Miller still sends pressure gauges with there gas welders but they need to be switched to a flow-meter asap. It really sounds like a gas flow problem.
Hi,
Not sure about the US. but I just picked up a brand new dynasty200dx from miller agent and it came complete with a proper argon flow meter
    Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 am

lazerbeam wrote:How are you verifying your gas flow? I don't know if Miller still sends pressure gauges with there gas welders but they need to be switched to a flow-meter asap. It really sounds like a gas flow problem.
Paid 24 euro for a flow gauge and it's been working like a champ. I will get a flow meter eventually but I wouldn't say they absolutely need to be replaced.
Nick
Zach7x

Marc Godwin wrote:
Zach7x wrote:I have tried everything from really low to cranked up.
Yes, no leaks
Hi Zack
Might sound daft but do you have the correct size collet in, and also check the torch head and confirm the tungsten is centerd in the cup, I had same type of issue and did not realise the collet was wrong size and that caused the tungsten to to be off one side, and I only noticed it when the arc wondered on to the ceramic cup.
Just a thought mate.
Yes, 3/32 tungsten and 3/32 collet.
Funny you say that, because I have had that wrong at one time, but seems to have no change on the poor welds it produces no matter what.
Zach7x

I guess I'm taking the Gauges word for it.
It really does act like it's gas related.
Zach7x

Marc Godwin wrote:
Hi,
Not sure about the US. but I just picked up a brand new dynasty200dx from miller agent and it came complete with a proper argon flow meter
Does anyone have a preferred regulator?
I'm thinking a new regulator wouldn't hurt at this point.
Zach7x

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Marc Godwin wrote:
Clean mild steel
DC setting
Leads are new condition

Lost
Thanks Zach
+1 definitely this^^^^

You are not telling them they are wrong, you just need help with your total setup - bring it all with you including the tank.

You did already try a different tank that is known to be good right?
This a good idea, I will see if I can get a appointment asap
lazerbeam
    Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:50 am

From what I can tell, Miller has different packages with the 200DX. Some of the packages have a flowmeter and some have a regulator. The problem with a regulator is that it can show pressure whether or not you have gas flowing. If the ball is floating in a flowmeter then you have gas flowing and it is going somewhere, you just have to make sure it is going where it is supposed to go. After the first 4 or 5 Miller regulators went bad, I just started ordering flowmeters when I ordered a new welder.

Zach7x wrote:
Marc Godwin wrote:
Hi,
Does anyone have a preferred regulator?
I'm thinking a new regulator wouldn't hurt at this point.
Don't bother with a regulator get your self a flow meter so you can see the ball float that way you know you have gas moving, as the post above just need to make sure where it's going.

To be correct I what said is wrong. You do need a regulator to drop the pressure, but the flow meter units are preset as to the pressure you can then just play with the flow
ifit
  • ifit
    Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:15 am

Is the Dynasty a new unit? Did you get it working properly? I'm thinking about getting one.

ifit wrote:Is the Dynasty a new unit? Did you get it working properly? I'm thinking about getting one.
Unfortunately I haven't even tried it yet, yurt put power on it to SE if it started. I just got made redundant from my 2yr contract only 5 months in due to cost cutting.. Mining industry is almost dead.

All my gear is packed up ready for the removers to to load into a container and ship next week to japan as we will go to my I laws farm.
Will update the findings in about 6weeks. Hope like crazy I don't have any issues, but the miller agent here assured me they tested the unit and I have no reason to doubt as the lady manager has been top notch to deal with.
robtg
    Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:54 pm

Contaminated bottle of gas? Twice had problems with water contamination, acted like gas off or leaky system.
BDoubleU

Sounds like a good setup from the initial post ... These problems are always difficult to troubleshoot because of the variables. I have seen just about everything listed here cause issues ... And here are a few things to try:

Assuming we have verified gas flow, coverage & proper torch/consumable connections, material cleanliness, etc ... I would do the following:

By pass the internal gas valve & hook the torch directly to the bottle. This will take the machine, solenoid & cheap internal hose clamps out of the picture. If the the porosity cleans up, your problem is internal to the machine. If the porosity is still there, then your problem is external & you need to systematically check everything.

Inside the unit, loose or poor connections can definitely allow air to enter & contaminate your welds. Hoses sometimes collect debris, lubricant & other potential contaminants ... And gas solenoids can fail, flutter or have other issues that would cause intermittent issues (ie: looks & sounds correct, but still won't weld). It's ironic that Tig is a gas-shielded process, meaning it's critical ... And yet the gas valve used is the lowest cost model available - in any machine.

Outside the unit - there can be a number of issues, most of which you have investigated or have been suggested. However, don't overlook your torch itself. I always take the handle off & tighten mechanical fittings. I have seen connections that were hand tight! Also - I have seen lubricants used to manufacture torch cables cause major issues ... So make sure there are no loose connections & there is no junk being mixed with the inert gas.

Good luck!
weldfusion.com
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Had the same problem ( twice) as described in the OP. I would suggest that you try another brand/type of tungsten ( try 2% thoriated or lanthanated from a reputable brand ) as there are a lot of rubbish electrodes out there.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

kiwi2wheels wrote:Had the same problem ( twice) as described in the OP. I would suggest that you try another brand/type of tungsten ( try 2% thoriated or lanthanated from a reputable brand ) as there are a lot of rubbish electrodes out there.

I have to agree with here with kiwi. cheap no-name tungsten can cause some minor problems.

Some times china 1.5 lanth. will flake up on you and be really bad. could of been an off batch though :lol:

So buy good tungsten and eliminate 1 possible problem

2.5 cents

John ;)
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
eoj1866
    Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:53 am

was searching for a solution for a friend of mine and happened upon this post, was wondering if you've found a solution and if not would like to suggest rechecking your ground since its typically reversed, meaning you'd ground the whip and use the positive to the table or workpiece, sorry but couldn't help to throw my thoughts in as I will forget to ground properly from time to time...
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

eoj1866 wrote:was searching for a solution for a friend of mine and happened upon this post, was wondering if you've found a solution and if not would like to suggest rechecking your ground since its typically reversed, meaning you'd ground the whip and use the positive to the table or workpiece, sorry but couldn't help to throw my thoughts in as I will forget to ground properly from time to time...
Ground would not reflect on the weld in TIG or Stick.

Its the equivalent of running DCEP or DCEN, all it does is change the heat. Since he's talking about argon and such, I assume he is TIG welding.

The best way to check your flow without a flowmeter is to check with your hand, for a flow of gas. IF you can feel the gas coming out then its not your gas not reaching the weld (like a dead gas solenoid or such), if nothing else seems to be the issue, it might be that the bottle is contaminated.

Also make sure your filler rod is clean and not coated in contamination, depending on your work space, if working in oily areas or places with lots of grinding and your filler rods are exposed, they could get dirty which will definetley mess up your weld.

Posting a picture would also help, has it been 6 weeks yet? :D
if there's a welder, there's a way
Keith_J
    Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:55 am

I was cleaning my torch hose today and the Dinse connector FELL OFF. It was that loose. As it is an air cooled unit, I was loosing argon and possibly getting air mixed in.

Just another thing to check.