Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Buggy Chief
    Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:44 pm

I have a Everlast PP205 STick/TIG/Plasma all in one and really like it. I was Tig welding some .063 aluminum diamond plate today and switched the TIG torch over to the Plasma Torch to cut some more diamond plate.

When I activated the trigger on the Plasma torch, some odd noises happened and no arc for Plasma. I disengaged the trigger and looked over and FORGOT TO SWITCH THE MACHINE FROM TIG TO CUT....OUCH!!!

I changed out my consumables and the Plasma torch won't cut and just down right acts odd with just a pulse of the switch. I took the head off and it appears that there is a carbon like ring before the threads that is zapped.

Question is, did I really mess this up and need a new torch or can this be repaired? Thanks in advance for any help!
Image[/URL[URL=http://s247.photobucket.com/user/lash772/media/Welding/image_zps15d92178.jpg.html]ImageImageImage
Last edited by Buggy Chief on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Can't see your pictures.
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Your pictures don't seem to work - but I Google'd your model & the torch that comes with it appears to be a Trafimet ( bright red with an enclosed yellow trigger - right ? ) probably a 45 - I don't own anything with this torch but in the parts picture there is a part behind the nozzle & electrode that they list as " air diffuser " - if I'm right this is easily replaced & assuming it's instead of the more usual swirl ring I would expect any damage to this will give cutting issues - it may act as an electrical insulator between torch parts - so any damage will cause a problem - certainly worth replacing first.
Buggy Chief
    Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:44 pm

Thanks for the input. I talked with Everlast Tech support yesterday and the torch is indeed fried. The bigger issue now is that Tech support said I may have fried my circuit board in my Multi Process Machine. That is really going to suck!!! No way of knowing until I get torch and try. Keep your fingers crossed.

I CAN ASSURE YOU, THIS IS A BIG LEARNING MISTAKE!!! I am an amateur and went back and read the manual that came with my machine and the new one online... No words of Caution around operating in wrong mode. Just a proposal to the Everlast folks: Be sure and put a warning in the Manual:

CAUTION: NEVER!!! EVER!!! INTENTIONALLY OR INADVERTANLY OPERATE PLASMA TORCH IN TIG OR STICK MODE!!! DAMAGE WILL OCCUR TO TORCH AND/OR MACHINE!!!

Just a proposal. Once I get the new torch later this week I will test and report back.
ksmrf
    Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:18 pm

good luck to you
you aint gotta eat it
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I have the same machine and may be able to help you fix it. Where are you located?
Buggy Chief wrote:Thanks for the input. I talked with Everlast Tech support yesterday and the torch is indeed fried. The bigger issue now is that Tech support said I may have fried my circuit board in my Multi Process Machine. That is really going to suck!!! No way of knowing until I get torch and try. Keep your fingers crossed.
I CAN ASSURE YOU, THIS IS A BIG LEARNING MISTAKE!!! I am an amateur and went back and read the manual that came with my machine and the new one online... No words of Caution around operating in wrong mode. Just a proposal to the Everlast folks: Be sure and put a warning in the Manual:
CAUTION: NEVER!!! EVER!!! INTENTIONALLY OR INADVERTANLY OPERATE PLASMA TORCH IN TIG OR STICK MODE!!! DAMAGE WILL OCCUR TO TORCH AND/OR MACHINE!!!
Just a proposal. Once I get the new torch later this week I will test and report back.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

good luck, I've been in your shoes, good thing my machine didn't cost me but $200
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024