Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:14 pm

There are going to be some places in the jig for this mount that I don't have enough elbows to get in there. And I don't have a flexlock torch....yet. Some tubes will have to be finish welded before it comes out of the jig....so the question remains if there are at least 4 good tacks on the remaining tubes and then pop it out how much do you guys think it will move or pull? Really don't want the final one all tweaked and out of square as this one is Mig welded for a proto. Must be tig welded........but I need to finish it and move on to other projects. I think my welds will be strong...just not stacked dimes....but then again I see improvements each time I light up on something. The pieces on the bottom and the top I have already prefabbed...top pieces have a part inside the tube. Or would you try your best to leave it in the jig and finish the whole thing?
Attachments
PANA0039.JPG
PANA0039.JPG (56.8 KiB) Viewed 568 times
Building an airplane is at times somewhat like a divorce.....with the exception that she doesn't leave
J.J. Flash
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I see the engine-to-firewall mount for an airplane.

Leave it in the jig, and find a way to weld it. In fact, I'd dummy up a jig to match the engine side of the equation, to hold that side of the mount in a fixed position.

Why not cut the jig up to reposition it where you need it to reach it? Are you "married" to the table it's bolted to?

Learn to weld in the mirror, if needed.

There are several of us with experimental aircraft knowledge, including our founder, Jody.

Steve S
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:14 pm

OK then...it will stay in there until it's done. The engine mount locations are held in place by a 1/4" T-6 plate. The base is held in position by 1/4" steel plate. The separation between the 2 plates is a couple of small "I" beams and everything bolted up tight. It won't move.....unless I do something stupid trying to make it all one piece. I will leave it in the master jig and have a slow , patient , and enjoyable project of it. I plan to clean everything inside and out with acetone, prep the tubes, and think about it while practicing on scraps before the deed is done. Thanks for helping out....reminds me too that I am almost out of argon. Gotta make that trip to town. For me welding with a mirror....that would be..."Gee Wally.....wait till mom see's this! I would have better luck to cut access holes to get at it.....
One thing I have learned is that I can stop when I want to or need to. I like that no pressure....after all it is supposed to be enjoyable right?
Building an airplane is at times somewhat like a divorce.....with the exception that she doesn't leave
J.J. Flash
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

jumpinjackflash wrote: One thing I have learned is that I can stop when I want to or need to. I like that no pressure....after all it is supposed to be enjoyable right?
Absolutely.

Jody is an EAA member, and Werkspace is building his own airplane at home. I think there are one or two other members who can contribute, as well.

Don't put pressure on yourself... just take enough time to be sure it's right, and it'll be right.

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Absolutely leave it in the jig to do your welding. Make sure you have a gas lens so you can get a longer stickout and cut your access holes. Make sure you weld in the fixture and let is cool before taking it out. These jobs are nice if you are not in a hurry. I have had to fix several items that were jigged because it was tacked in the jig and taken out for welding.
One example of wishing I would have showed down, I TIG welded some 22 ga. S.S. rolled and formed, to a customers sample. Well the sample turned out to be wrong and I had to start all over. On the second one I rushed like mad and ruined it. Once I took a few deep breaths, I finally slowed down on the third and got it right.
-Jonathan