Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I have several welders that have no internal gas valve. I dislike using the valve on the torch. I bought a 120 VAC gas solenoid and a foot pedal. I will add that this works best with a torch that has a switch on the torch. Using this with a foot pedal would be a pain. This may not be for everyone..............since I like to tinker I figured why not. Another plus is that pre-flow and post-flow are whatever you want. All told I have about $40 into this.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Looks like a good solution, Rich, and I could see where a simple thumb-switch on the torch would work better for those out-of-position welds.

Steve S
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Looks like a good solution, Rich, and I could see where a simple thumb-switch on the torch would work better for those out-of-position welds.

Steve S

Are you talking about a thumb switch to control the arc or the gas flow???
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Gas flow, in this case, as that was your topic, and the torch switch for gas was your idea. I learned on lift-arc, in the field, with a torch-valve for gas. It was a pain. I'd occasionally forget to open the valve when I started, or close it when I finished, and it drove me nuts. The foot-switch or thumb-switch would make it a no-brainer for "on", and a deadman switch for "off".

Steve S