Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Fri May 02, 2014 10:44 am

I'm trying to get started with tig welding without spending too much. I'll be scratch starting with my ac/dc buzz box. I would like to buy a used gas valve torch, but I'm not sure what to look for. Is there anything that can go wrong with an old torch ? Is there a particular brand/model/size I should look for or avoid?
I've seen some new chinese torches on ebay for around $50, but I have a feeling that might be a bigger crap shoot than buying used.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

If you look on Ebay & find the seller " Shop River " or " River Weld " their prices are very good & I have had very good service & no issues with quality - if your on a budget that's where I'd go - but if you find an old torch at a yard sale or somewhere for a few $ then it's worth a gamble - generally if it looks intact & the threads are all OK then it should work.
Zipzit
    Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:46 pm

Bob,

It sure would be nice to have a tool that enhances the learning experience.

I've been really struggling with my TIG welding. I realized I was really fighting against the torch.

--It had this really large stiff hose/cable setup. No way could you simply turn your wrist to adjust the torch head. It was okay for welding things in a straight line, by no way could you weld a tube joint with that hose/cable combo.

--the fixed angle of the torch head just didn't work for me. I could not hold the torch pencil style, I always had to use a steak knife hold. It was too close to a 90 degree fixed. You could weld stuff off the table fine, but flat plate on the table, no way to get your hand in the right place to hold the torch comfortably. (I just measured my torches.. Old torch = 80 degree, new torch I have set to 70 degrees. Note: if the old torch took a long cup it would have been fine... I never could find long cups for sale anywhere...)

I ended up purchasing a super flex hose with a flex head torch. Wow, what a difference. I can angle the head of the torch to get the alignment right. I can easily twist my wrist now to do a tubing joint.

Also note: the TIG torches come in different 'series'. The smaller the torch, the less current it will handle. Sometimes small is good, if you are working in tight places. As I check the Weldcraft catalog, you can get valved torches in many different series. Once you pick a torch handle, then you have to purchase the consumables to match. You can't put a series WP-9 (125amps) gas lens and cup on a series WP-17 torch (150 amps). I use series 9 stuff and its fine for thin materials. To start out, I'd recommend purchasing two gas lenses.. one for 1/16" and one for 3/32" tungstens, then a couple of collets and a small set of ceramic nozzles to match the lens. Gas lenses are just three or four dollars.

Recommendation: Pick up a new torch and superflex hose. I would guess the price should be around $100 or so. I picked up mine at USAweld.com I was VERY surprised at their excellent sales support. Note: I just checked their web site, and I don't see torches with valves on them. You might give them a call.

Question for you: I know money is tight. What are you doing for an argon bottle? If you have to buy a bottle from your local welding shop that isn't cheap.
    Fri May 02, 2014 10:44 am

noddybrian wrote:If you look on Ebay & find the seller " Shop River " or " River Weld " their prices are very good & I have had very good service & no issues with quality - if your on a budget that's where I'd go - but if you find an old torch at a yard sale or somewhere for a few $ then it's worth a gamble - generally if it looks intact & the threads are all OK then it should work.
Hah, river-weld is the exact ebay'er selling the chinese torches I was talking about. I guess I'll probably end up going that route then. Pickings are slim for used torches on craigslist around here. There is a guy a good drive away with a couple that have power lugs, but they look to be pretty worn in, complete with duct tape and burnt cups.

Thank you for the advice Zipzit. I don't doubt what you are saying one bit, but I'm just trying to get my toes wet without too much of a cover charge.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I agree the superflex cables & flex-loc torch are real nice - but on a budget just to try Tig out I would'nt buy them straight off - a cheap setup is fine for learning & doing bead on plate & bench practice - being realistic most people don't pick it up that fast so there is nothing wrong with buying entry level equipment - if you get good & intend doing more difficult shapes & pipe joints then by all means upgrade - especially if you can do a job or two that will bring some money in to help fund it - sadly no such thing as cheap argon though.
Zipzit
    Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:46 pm

Yeah on money, I hear ya.

This can get expensive fast.
--How are you going to sharpen electrodes? (Bench grinder? Hand held grinder? Belt sander?)
--How are you prepping and holding your work metal? (I started with hacksaw, files and a vise. )
--Where are you getting your argon? Small bottles cheap to start, expensive to refill. I think a larger bottle, 125cfm runs around $300
--Gotta add consumables. Tungsten, gloves, etc... New metal to weld on isn't cheap. Old stuff can be hard to come by. (and if you use old stuff, at some point you pick up galvanized metal, please spend the $35 or so on a filter mask...)

Where are you located? Some areas have shared / rental space. When I lived in Detroit, they had a tig machine at the local hackers space. Here in Vegas I see Craigslist ad for a guy renting out welding space including all consumables with argon included.

Community college courses? You cannot bet their costs. Hands down best deal if you can find the right program close to home.

You might also post your location. Often folks will take you under their wing. You buy lunch (Taco bell is great) you are welcome to spend a few hours at my garage on the TIG machine.

Oh.. my point on the other post. Sometimes the tools are so tough to use, you just want to chuck the whole thing out the door. Too much frustration does not make for a successful learning experience. I wouldn't spend $$ on a flex torch initially, but that superflex hose is an exceptional improvement for just a few bucks (incremental..)
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I used a cheap chinese 9 series for a long time. Nothing wrong with it. It also doesn't cost $50. Not even close. Even the 17 series is less than about $20 from weldingcity.com