Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
AKmud
    Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 am

Hey Jody! I just got my CK stubby gas lens kit in and I've got a question. I'm running a typical Weldcraft WP-20 torch and I'm having a heck of a time getting the large Teflon insulator in place. Will it work with my torch?? I can't get it to seat around the rubber gasket on the torch head. Any tricks?

Great kit btw and it was cheaper than buying one gas lens locally.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Take a dremel and trim out the white insulator.
I had a CK 17v, and I bought a bunch of Chinese parts, I had to trim out the white insulators so they would snap on the torch head.

Hope this helps,

John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
AKmud

Yeah, I want to make sure I'm not missing something before I whip out the dremel on it.
AKmud

Well, a little lube and I got the Teflon insulator seated.... Next issue is the gas lens itself is to big to thread into my torch... Wasn't expecting that one. :(

Guess I didn't read far enough in to the description... The kit is for 17, 18, and 26 series torches...

Darn...
You wan't to sell them to me??
I'll give you full price for them....

~Johnathan

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
AKmud

Sure, that would make more sense than buying another torch... ;)

You coming to Palmer??

Or something else? ;)

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
AKmud

No plans in the next day or two. Maybe this weekend.
AKmud

You still have my phone number?

AKmud wrote:You still have my phone number?
I do.
Do you want to call me when you get out my way??

~Johnathan

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
AKmud

Yeah, I'll give you a shout if I'm coming by.

Thanks.

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Yea there's no "stubby" kit for a 9/20 series; it's as small as it gets, unless you go with a 24 series:

or shrink it down to a micro size :mrgreen:

dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

No there is stubby gas lens for a 9
0515142325.jpg
0515142325.jpg (25.22 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
CK 9 with stubby and 26 std

My 9 torch box
Attachments
0515142326.jpg
0515142326.jpg (50.69 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
dirtmidget33

couldn't edit first post had to be approved first. Wanted to add that a stubby kit for a 17,18,26 allows you to use the alumina nozzles from the 9,20 torch gas lens. so yes there is no stubby kit for the 9,20 per say just gas lens kits which the nozzles are shorter than the standard nozzles for the 9,20.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.

Exactly....no stubby for 9/20 torches, those are the "regular" sizes. The regular cups and gas lens cups all end up being pretty much the same size in the grand scheme of things. For the 7/18/26 there is definitely stubby/medium/large gas lens. The only size larger is the large (15/16") gas lens for alumina cups (not counting the Pyrex kits)
dirtmidget33

Like the micro torch Oscar have you used it much. Been thinking about getting one for very tight areas that my 9 has trouble getting into.

As for stubby kits I have found it useful to buy all pieces in bulk and build my own kit. So far has worked out cheaper. Sometimes hard to find the stubby lens for 17,26 cause there is also a normal lens for these that take a longer cup so becareful when order the lens. Best thing about using the stubbies with the bigger torches is not having to stock two sets of alumina cups plus getting profile of torch smaller. I hate regular nozzles feels like having a big club in your hand.

I worded my first post wrong and with it being my first post on site it was in limbo for awile and just went ahead and made the second one So sry about that.

I actually haven't even used it at all, LOL. On my welding cart where I have my Invertig221, I normally have a watercooled 24 torch hooked up, and have a WeldTec Rotohead rolled up on the side as well. I just bought it for the hell of it.