Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
chadmh91
    Fri May 16, 2014 8:35 pm

I am getting ready to take a tig welding test with stainless steel & this will be my first time, should I have my machine hot or cold? ?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

What thickness of metal??
Position??

WPS???

Need a TON more info!!!!!!!
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

chadmh91 wrote:I am getting ready to take a tig welding test with stainless steel & this will be my first time, should I have my machine hot or cold? ?
Your first time taking a test on stainless, or your first time welding stainless? The answer matters.

John is right, we need a lot more info. Pipe size/schedule. Alloy (304, probably). Allowed range of root gap, land. Allowed rod sizes. What position?

There's a ton of variables that will affect your choices and the amperage you'll want to use, and ALL of these are subject to personal preferences (within the WPS, of course).

Steve S
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

My gut-reaction answer, is I like to run hot and move fast. This is not universally true, though.