Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Hummina
    Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:47 pm

I'm trying to get someone to weld an electric motor
Onto a shaft but the copper coils will melt off their laqueer if it gets above 250c. The motor mounting plate and shaft are both aluminum. Thinking maybe if done slowly and with the rest of the motor including the coils sunk in water it might work. What'd ya think?
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Welcome to the forum Hummina.

Welding directly on a motor is sort of unusual - perhaps you could give some background as to why you need to or a picture is better - maybe some of the members here could find a solution for you that does'nt require welding - also getting the motor wet is'nt a great idea - perhaps it could be cooled with liquid CO2 or something that not cause other issues.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Actually, the water isn't a bad idea at all, IF the water is distilled, so there's no chance of leaving salts or other residues. You'll want the weld point to be as far above the water as practical, because any boiling near the weld zone will (due to the rapid expansion of water to vapor) interfere with your gas shielding.

You'll have the same effect regardless of the cooling media, as it gets hot and gasses off. Perhaps you can shield the weld with an aluminum-foil dam to protect from boil-off?

Welcome to the neighborhood, Hummina!

Steve S
coldman
  • coldman

This is interesting. Usually the copper windings of a motor form the fixed stator. The shaft spins inside the stator windings by induction. So I am not fully understanding the concept of welding the shaft to the windings. Some photos of what you are trying to do would be informative for us to give our 2c worth of advice.
brokeitagain
    Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:16 am

coldman wrote:This is interesting. Usually the copper windings of a motor form the fixed stator. The shaft spins inside the stator windings by induction. So I am not fully understanding the concept of welding the shaft to the windings. Some photos of what you are trying to do would be informative for us to give our 2c worth of advice.
dc motor??
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I presumed any brush type motor AC or DC - just not a squirrel cage induction - downside to this is most of this type have relatively small diameter hardened shafts - so once welded even if a perfect alignment is achieved there is every chance it will fail in the HAZ - hence my query is there no other way of fixing.

Agreed on the distilled water - I've washed a few electrical items that had seen sea water & then solvent washed & dried them - if no power was introduced while wet they mostly survived.
coldman
  • coldman

Of course you must be right. It has been so long since I've seen a brush motor it didn't even occur to me. Btw windings can be baked in an oven to restore insulation condition after being wet as long as not damaged. Still would be nice to see some pics.