Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Mongol
    Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:56 pm

So I recently purchased a Wens Lens Ultra Cool Blue lens in a shade 10. Before I used a shade 11 gold lens.

I really like the color of the Ultra Cool Blue (easier on the eyes), but it's a tad bright for my eyes. A fellow welder has the same lens in a shade 11, but, for some reason, it doesn't look as clear and seems darker than my gold shade 11. The blue also looks much deeper than the shade 10; almost purple. FYI: I'm technically "color blind". I don't see in black and white, but I did fail all the color tests for the military.

So is there a lens with a less intense blue but protects my eyes like my gold shade 11? I've only made a handful of welds with the new lens, but I may end up going back to my gold lens if I can't find a suitable replacement.

I mainly TIG weld sch 10 stainless steel pipe with my amps staying mostly below 100.
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

I was always told that due to the reflective nature of the gold lenses, they block the harmful portion of the arc rays better and can actually appear as a lighter shade than they are numbered as. Never used the blue. This is just what the old timers at my old job told me about the gold ones. Good luck finding something that works for you.
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Mongol wrote:So I recently purchased a Wens Lens Ultra Cool Blue lens in a shade 10. Before I used a shade 11 gold lens.

I really like the color of the Ultra Cool Blue (easier on the eyes), but it's a tad bright for my eyes. A fellow welder has the same lens in a shade 11, but, for some reason, it doesn't look as clear and seems darker than my gold shade 11. The blue also looks much deeper than the shade 10; almost purple. FYI: I'm technically "color blind". I don't see in black and white, but I did fail all the color tests for the military.

So is there a lens with a less intense blue but protects my eyes like my gold shade 11? I've only made a handful of welds with the new lens, but I may end up going back to my gold lens if I can't find a suitable replacement.

I mainly TIG weld sch 10 stainless steel pipe with my amps staying mostly below 100.
Being color blind too, I recommend trying a Jackson Balder BH3 or smart Tigger. Is you want AD hood leaps and bounds clearer than any other hood I used.