Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

I am trying to figure out the best way to braze or weld a cast iron table top to a 4" schedule 40 pipe base (see pic).
Wanted to see what the collective advised to use.

I have 308SS and Silicon Bronze rods on hand. Unfortunately the fitment is not as good as I would like but will have to make do this is to be a load bearing element, no torsional stresses just compression.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I would definately go with the lowest temerature process you're skilled at. With that amout of surface area for wetting, I'd sweat the damn thing with "silver-bearing" plumbing solder, and be done. You'll never break it, even with the occasional side- or torsional-load, you won't overheat/crack the cast, or distort the top.

Of the two options you listed, I'd definitely use the SiBronze, for the same reasons.

Steve S
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

I would braze it if I was doing it however not sure about the gaps. I never tried to braze anything with that large of a gap that's my concern on that. Maybe set up some scrap with those size gaps and give it a try or maybe someone on forum has brazed large gaps before.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
DSM8

Actually the more I look at it I think a better bet so as not to alter the wheel itself is to weld small feet to the pipe and drill a hole I can then bolt the whole thing together instead of welding the steel to the cast.

Thanks for the input, mow to find some larger diameter rusty bolts...
;)
Last edited by DSM8 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

This could be a good candidate for silicon bronze mig.

http://store.cyberweld.com/haersibrmigw ... 7AodSUkA3w
DSM8

rake wrote:This could be a good candidate for silicon bronze mig.

http://store.cyberweld.com/haersibrmigw ... 7AodSUkA3w
You may be totally correct except for one problem.
I don't have a mig welder.
:lol:
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I might go with 6 peices of 1/2 x1" bar stock drilled and tapped and welded to the petals that are cut into the end of the pipe and bolted from under the wheel.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
DSM8

Braehill wrote:I might go with 6 peices of 1/2 x1" bar stock drilled and tapped and welded to the petals that are cut into the end of the pipe and bolted from under the wheel.

Len
Basically that is what I did but since the weld bead is aligned with the hole (dont ask..) I went with just a 1/8 bar stock and will nut and bolt into place, this will allow me to also use shims to make sure the table top is level.

Pics will be forthcoming tonight some time.

Man that pipe smells when you set fire to the coating that is on it...

:lol: