Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:34 am

This is a portion of a 1/8" steel butt weld. This is as shiny as I can get it to look. It is hot rolled steel. I ground it clean and shiny on both sides. I made sure my table and grounding area were freshly ground. I tried the argon on 15 and 20. I have pre and post flow. (Wish I had the settings). No draft in the shop. Freshly ground tungston. Wiped it down with acetone. Does this look good cause it sure isn't like Jody's with the blue/gold color in it. Do you get the blue/ gold weld with cold rolled only? As always thank you for the help! Scroll down a hair to see weld.
Attachments
20141013_161011[1].jpg
20141013_161011[1].jpg (54.56 KiB) Viewed 850 times
Everlast 250EX
Everlast I-Mig275 w/ Alum Spool Gun
Everlast Plasma60
Everlast 300 Water Cooler
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Sorry bro.
Blue gold color comes on stainless.

Your stuck with steel, and your using er70s2?

http://welding-tv.com/2013/11/12/tig-steel-drill/
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Yes ER70S2. So thats a good look for steel? Thx!
Everlast 250EX
Everlast Plasma60

There isn't a much better color then that.

You got a picture of the whole weld??

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Yeah Stainless is the pretty looking one....If your looking for color on mild steel prepare to be disappointed! lol. Tig welding stainless can come out silver, yellow, blue, pink, and purple. Looks cool anyways till ya brush it
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I think media blasted stainless looks the coolest after its welded. It gives the whole part a nice uniform finish
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

Ak. The rest of the weld is the same color but colder to the right. The weld started as a small mound then flat then slightly concaved. A couple questions for you though:
1) should a mild steel weld be slightly concaved?
2) what should the back of the weld look like to be sure you have good penetration? I welded a lap joint and at the beginning of the weld and into the middle you can just barely see the heat made it to the back of the metal. At the end of the weld the back pushed out about an eighth of an inch. I like just barely seeing a change in the back of the metal. Is that good or should I always try for the hump on the back?
I really appreciate the help. I've only been welding for about 4-5 hours total and I am teaching myself on aluminum and mild steel. Having a great time though.
Everlast 250EX
Everlast Plasma60

Blaze659 wrote:Ak. The rest of the weld is the same color but colder to the right. The weld started as a small mound then flat then slightly concaved. A couple questions for you though:
1) should a mild steel weld be slightly concaved?
2) what should the back of the weld look like to be sure you have good penetration? I welded a lap joint and at the beginning of the weld and into the middle you can just barely see the heat made it to the back of the metal. At the end of the weld the back pushed out about an eighth of an inch. I like just barely seeing a change in the back of the metal. Is that good or should I always try for the hump on the back?
I really appreciate the help. I've only been welding for about 4-5 hours total and I am teaching myself on aluminum and mild steel. Having a great time though.
As far as a concave weld, its kinda had for me to put a big weld on DC.
About the best practice for welding is the tig steel drill.

I do it a lot on Alum.

http://welding-tv.com/2013/11/12/tig-steel-drill/

Trump/Carson 2016-2024