Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:20 pm

How this is did so nice...
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Hi Dennis

Yes, it certainly is impressive. I suggest it might have been done using 'Walking the Cup' technique.

Jody has a good video tutorial on this method

WSnj8AASuFs

Hope this helps

Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

A positioner, walking the cup, and hood time
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Definitely walking the cup, you can see the scratches above the weld from the cup.
steeldr.
    Thu May 15, 2014 2:44 am

because of the angle of the torch and not lifting the rod from the puddle, could this method invite cold lap,or lack of fusion ? ron
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

steeldr. wrote:because of the angle of the torch and not lifting the rod from the puddle, could this method invite cold lap,or lack of fusion ? ron
If the amperage isn't right yes....walking the cup is very popular on pipe and actually helps you slow down and make sure your breaking down the walls, also can keep your arc length very consistent.

The image you posted is a very good example, that is some of the nicest I've seen.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
savrmetalworks.com
    Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:55 am

dsmabe wrote:Definitely walking the cup, you can see the scratches above the weld from the cup.
Good Call on the scratches!
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

Btw why these are usually welded with fillet welds? Wouldn't butt joint be better in all situations?
-Markus-
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Markus,
The reason that I use a socket weld over a butt weld is prep time. You can cut out a lot of time on the pipe end of things since it just needs to be cut. A lot of low pressure piping doesn't require full pen butt welds so why spend the time and money. The best weld in any situation is the one that will do the job for the least amount of money.

Len

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len