Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
doneinone
    Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:24 pm

I am just starting out learning how to weld with TIG. My focus is on thin wall 4130 tubing which I am welding with the water cooled PW 18 torch. I am having trouble getting a consistent bead and I would compare it to building a kitchen cabinet with an eight pound hammer. I have watched Jody's vid on torch heads and see I should have gone with the twenty when I set up. I chose the 18 because it had the same rating as my power source. So the question is would my learning experience be better if I spent the money on the smaller torch or should I stick with the 18 and struggle through?
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

a 20 series water cooled torch will be worlds better, as will a 24 series water cooled torch. Call up HTP and speak to Paul directly @ 224-404-6001. He can set up pretty much any torch for any machine. I highly recommend a CK 20-style Flex-loc torch.

By the way, the lighter, smaller torches will help, but consistency is mainly experience-dependent. Start out on flat plate and get the consistency there. Then transition into other joints, and then into large-diameter round tubing. I didn't and regret it because I wasted a lot of time learning the hard way. Then, transition into smaller diameter thinner tubing. You ain't gonna be turning out quality roll-cage/aircraft fuselage welds anytime soon so might as well do it right. :)
doneinone

Thanks Oscar. Sounds like good advice. I have only been at this for a couple of weeks. You are right about coming at it systematically. I have already started forming some bad habits as I try to jump ahead. Number one being the way I feed wire into the weld. My flat beads on steel are pretty good really but when I start a weld around a piece of tube it is easy to get derailed usually by my wire feed technique, the larger torch or bad positioning of the work piece. I do have previous experience with oxy acetylene welding 4130 aircraft frames but I am not sure it is helping me right now. Thanks again.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

No Problem. Also, what helmet are you using? You need a good one if you wanna see the puddle the clearest you possibly can.
doneinone

I have a nice one. The Lincoln Viking series. I bought it when I was tasked to build a grate over a drain pit for washing large farm equipment. I stick welded it together with a Miller Bobcat I have on my truck. So far so good. Nobody has fallen in yet. "Fingers Crossed" I just ordered a CK 20 with flex head from Weld Fabulous. If you need supplies this might be a good time to order. This outfit is offering free shipping all weekend. The others are probably doing the same.