Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
doneinone
    Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:24 pm

For practice I have been welding 2 inch .035 6061 round tubing with ninety degree miter butt welds. I have had surprisingly good luck but was wondering if there were a preferred method to weld the outside corner portion of the joint. Also I noticed very little info on this type of weld when I googled it. How is it structurally? Thanks
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

My guess...if welded correctly, IMHO, the outside corner would be the strongest part of the joint as it would be mostlikely a full penetration weld if it melted all the way to the inside....regardless it is a groove weld vs a fillet weld if I'm picturing your joint correctly.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
doneinone
    Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:24 pm

Miter Joint.jpg
Miter Joint.jpg (3.75 KiB) Viewed 1059 times

Thanks for your input. The attached image is what I was talking about. On my welds the bead protrudes on the outside corner and that is why I was wondering if there were a particular method for this weld. In this image the outside weld looks flush with the outside edges of the tubing, much better looking than mine.
jcw
  • jcw
  • Workhorse
    Workhorse
    Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Perfect fit up. Likely a fusion weld with little to no filler added. Correct amps and penetration.

I remember Jody has a nice video about outside corner welds on some thin material.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Structural strength on that joint depends on where the load is coming from. With Alum you always will use a little filler, with that thin full penetration is easily achieved.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

doneinone wrote:
Miter Joint.jpg

The attached image is what I was talking about.
Nice welded joint in that pic. After I posted, I thought about it more and I see what you mean...but like stated already with that thickness it should not be a problem.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector