Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
buggsy
    Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:32 pm

I've got a chance to pick up a bunch of .40 to 1/4" tungston rod. What and how should you run/use this stuff ? Tig is new to me, this is probably a dumb ?.

Buggsy
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

The really thick stuff can be used on dc+ for welding really thin alum because it can tolerate the heat building up in the electrode.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

buggsy wrote:I've got a chance to pick up a bunch of .40 to 1/4" tungston rod. What and how should you run/use this stuff ? Tig is new to me, this is probably a dumb ?.

Buggsy
Application also depends on alloy. Are these all "pure" tungsten? 2% Thoriated tungsten? Other alloy? Or do you have a combo pack?

Steve S
buggsy

Hi, I'm sorry, I forgot to say it's 2% Thoriated tungsten
buggsy

2% lanthinated not thoriated
'Stang
    Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 pm

buggsy wrote:I've got a chance to pick up a bunch of .40 to 1/4" tungston rod. What and how should you run/use this stuff ? Tig is new to me, this is probably a dumb ?.

Buggsy
1/4" tungsten? If you are new to tig, it is unlikely you would need anything that big. If the price is right, you might buy the lot, and farm out the larger sizes to some local welding shop. You didn't say what welder you have. The amps available have a lot to do with what tungsten you should run.