Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

Welding A36 to 8620 (or 8610) would you tig or mig? what filler? What would you not use.
Has to hold 50k psi.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

http://www.interlloy.com.au/our-product ... ing-steel/ BTW, Mig and Tig are classified as low hydrogen processes.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

gamble wrote:Welding A36 to 8620 (or 8610) would you tig or mig? what filler? What would you not use.
Has to hold 50k psi.
Typo?
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
gamble

lol no, no typeo
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:
gamble wrote:Welding A36 to 8620 (or 8610) would you tig or mig? what filler? What would you not use.
Has to hold 50k psi.
Typo?
Last time I was on a drilling rig, I saw gauges that read to 80 KPSI, if I recall.

I wasn't welding that stuff at the time... I was fitting decking. :roll: I drug that job in two weeks.

I've tested my own welds to 9680 PSI, but that's the highest to date for me.

Steve S
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Good lord fellas :shock:

50kpsi?? 80kpsi?? :o
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I'd you have to weld for 50,000 psi, perhaps you shouldn't be asking questions on an internet forum. Just saying.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:If you have to weld for 50,000 psi, perhaps you shouldn't be asking questions on an internet forum. Just saying.
Yeah, no kidding.....

You better know what your doing, "GAMBLE"......
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I am thinking the question is not being answered in perspective. I don't think this is a pipe that will hold 50,000 psi rather the given member will hold 50,000 psi in weight. Am I wrong Gamble?

To answer the question, you should use a filler material that is approved for the weakest material. In this case a 70,000 psi filler will be fine. I wold recommend slight pre and post heat to reduce your chances of cold cracking.
-Jonathan

Still. Big stakes. Mmmm stakes.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Apparently I'm getting a stake 2nite for my birthday. They said something about a tomohawk. What the frac is that?
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

Happy birthday. Sounds Indian.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

I'm lending myself to Jonathan' comments.

50,000 PSI is more than 22 tons pressure - per square inch

If this was, say a 6" diameter pipe, an end cap would have to hold back 622 tons of pressure.

Can the meaning of the 50k PSI be explained more fully? I'm having trouble grasping these values for a real-world situation.

Thanks
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc

Phucen Shiploads....

weldin mike 27 wrote:Phucen Shiploads....
Mike, I didn't know you spoke Latin ! (grin)
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
gamble

Well you guys are all assuming. I never said I was going to weld it. I"m doing the leg work for my friends at a machine shop.
It is NOT pipe. It's for a press to hold 50k psi.
Small jig where 2 1" diameter pipes get pressed into it to see if it holds. No fluids or liquids of any kind.
So if anyone has any good input that would be great, not really caring for your .02 if you have nothing important to offer.

gamble wrote:Well you guys are all assuming. I never said I was going to weld it. I"m doing the leg work for my friends at a machine shop.
It is NOT pipe. It's for a press to hold 50k psi.
Small jig where 2 1" diameter pipes get pressed into it to see if it holds. No fluids or liquids of any kind.
So if anyone has any good input that would be great, not really caring for your .02 if you have nothing important to offer.
Sour grapes, Gamble.

All you mentioned in your original post was:
"Welding A36 to 8620 (or 8610) would you tig or mig? what filler? What would you not use.
Has to hold 50k psi."

That meant that to help you we had to assume. You provided hardly any worthwhile information.

And from your original comment, I don't see how anybody could assume that you were not doing the welding.

Now after so many tried to assist, asked for clarifications etc, you state: "not really caring for your .02 if you have nothing important to offer."

This response makes me wonder why anyone should help at all...

It would have been much better if you had stated right at the start what you have explained now. Wouldn't it?

My 2 cents.
Last edited by TRACKRANGER on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gamble

I'm asking for information on how to weld it and what someone that has done it used. WHy would I care what else anyone has to say that doesn't pertain to the post, hence half of the first page responses?

Not my problem you all "assume".
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Hey come on guys - whats with the harsh words - when someone posts a question they have the job pictured in their mind already - often it's hard for other members to visualize the exact nature of that job - hence some clarification is needed - if we had a sketch of the weld joint or it's configuration & sizes it would be way easier to comment on - so posts do go off topic a little here & there as most members enjoy some banter ! just asking what weld holds 50.000 psi is in fairness very open ended - really anything will including the hated 6013 - with more idea of the OP's job - better advise can & will be given - there are several posts here with copies of filler rod compatibility charts which will I'm sure list your material - process wise I always think Tig gives you better control & is easier to judge by appearance if it is sound - Mig using regular ER70S6 wire is strong enough - but you can have lack of fusion & other defects that are hard to be certain of with only visual inspection so on a smaller job where strength is more important than speed of production then I'd use Tig .

gamble wrote:I'm asking for information on how to weld it and what someone that has done it used. WHy would I care what else anyone has to say that doesn't pertain to the post, hence half of the first page responses?

Not my problem you all "assume".
I am sorry gamble but with a attitude like that why would I want to help further?? Your original question was going down a path that CLEARLY was the wrong direction. Not our fault as we had no way of knowing. What you did was throw a 500 piece puzzle kit on my desk and ask "what is the picture this will make?" I know it is a puzzle but no idea how to put it together because I don't have a picture to go off of.

When you make statements like "why would I care what else everyone has to say that doesn't pertain to the post" that leads me to believe you are only hear to gather your information and off into the woods you go. This forum is NOT a taking forum rather a give and take forum.

I will now assume you are having a bad day and when you post back your attitude will be better.
-Jonathan

Seconded. Anyway, it my very first reply I provided a link. Also PSI is a measure of pressure of a substance. Simple pushing force is simple pounds/tons /tonnes. As in "go straighten that job in the 70,000 pound press"
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

My stake was nice...[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Y'all are kind!

I'm going to be blunt.

One more abusive post...

Try me.

Gamble, no one has treated you rudely, despite your multiple invitations.

Steve S
gamble

Otto Nobedder wrote:Y'all are kind!

I'm going to be blunt.

One more abusive post...

Try me.

Steve S
Why? Because nobody (except welding mike) including yourself could offer any useful information? And because everyone assumes I was welding it? Or everyone assumes it was a pipe? Exactly what I didn't want is 3 pages of BS to sort through from nobody that can offer any useful information.

I found what I needed anyway so thank you to those that helped and not to those that post just to post.

gamble wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:Y'all are kind!

I'm going to be blunt.

One more abusive post...

Try me.

Steve S
Why? Because nobody (except welding mike) including yourself could offer any useful information? And because everyone assumes I was welding it? Or everyone assumes it was a pipe? Exactly what I didn't want is 3 pages of BS to sort through from nobody that can offer any useful information.

I found what I needed anyway so thank you to those that helped and not to those that post just to post.
Your welcome, whichever category I fit in!!! :D :D :D
-Jonathan