Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
ErnieA
    Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:11 am

My TIG welding can be summed up as many years off and on with various machines and hi-frequency attachments. Five years ago I bought a new Miller Syncrowave 200 transformer machine. At the time I wanted an "stick" machine that could also do TIG. Now after doing more research I might have been better off just adding an inverter TIG to my shop, but this is what I have so I hope to learn how to use it proficiently.

The following practice piece is some .125 5053 aluminum that I'm just running beads. I was trying to experiment with different size tungsten and type. Right now I've settled on pure tungsten that seems to be more stable than others I have in the drawer. It balls up and seems to create a nice concentrated arc and puddle. I was trying to help myself with filler rod timing using the pulse setting at 1 second but I must be doing something wrong since it was cooling the puddle too much and I was increasing the amperage a lot higher than without the pulse. The manual with this machine is not very descriptive and I'm sure there is a setting I'm not using that would let me keep a more even setting between high and low pulses. So far I'm giving up on that idea and just using the peddle for amperage control.

I'm using a water cooled torch and a 3/32 tungsten. I have a #7 cup on a gas lens setup. The last pass was at about 85 amps. Any tips are helpful. Thanks in advance.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

First, why did you decide on only 85A? You need a lot of heat quickly for aluminum! Set that machine to 170A, and floor the pedal at first, then start flying once you see the "mirror" and dab the puddle. Ease off as you scoot down the piece, which should NOT be small. You'll heat soak it and the whole thing will melt away quickly. It takes a lot of practice to out-run the heat-soak, but it's pretty much necessary unless you want a 1/2" wide puddle that will droop down into the base metal.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Like Oscart says.
Most transformers like pure tungsten on Alum and amps and speed
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
ErnieA

rick9345 wrote:Like Oscart says.
Most transformers like pure tungsten on Alum and amps and speed
Thanks. I did just that. Now it is just practice time.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

ErnieA, it looks like you're getting the hang of it now!
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

Looks great, Ernie!
ErnieA

Time sure flies and I haven't posted on this forum in about 5 years it seems. I sure appreciate the above help when I was getting started (again) with TIG welding in my shop. I was totally intimidated and trying to learn my Miller Synchrowave 200 wasn't easy at first. Well, it still isn't easy for me, but I'm getting better with the more I practice. A couple take-aways from the responses when I originally posted above, and other posts I read were: raise the amperage and control the amperage better with my foot pedal. Learn to feed the rod consistently and keep it shielded. Keep a tight arc and keep the torch as close to 90 degrees to the work as possible. All these were probably taught to me years ago in my CC welding program but somehow forgotten.

In the last 5 years since posting this cry for help I've added a torch cooler and smaller torch. This is helping me in so many ways. I can weld a longer bead and not have trouble with heat from the torch. The torch is lighter and easier to handle. And the Tig finger Jody sells is great! I decided to try the 2% Lanthinated electrode with my transformer machine and it lasts longer in my welding process without having to take breaks to change out/sharpen electrodes. Someone said they don't work well with transformers but it does for me. I'm also practicing more left hand torch handling. Being right handed and right eye dominate It helps to force myself to be a bit more ambidextrous. This is still a work in progress, but the clear cups Jody sells are helping me with my puddle control.

Bottom line the videos and this group has always been helpful. I truly appreciate you folks. Have a good weekend.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Good to have ya back, and good to hear about the progress!

What a follow up, glad you posted back and hope you stick around.
Richard
Website