Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
88MOOSE88
    Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:13 am

Hi guy

Im trying to learn to walk the cup inthe 5g position, in need to learn for a job i want after my apprenticeship, my tutor doesnt know how to so ive been watching YouTube videos.

I know the technique and understand how it works, but when i try my puddle seems to wash away from me and when going more than an inch the puddle goes into one large pool which is hard to control, the ripples are very close even when i feel im rolling to much from side to side.

Also the botton is realy hard to get comfortable,

Please help me

I use a gas lense with a 6, 7 or 8 cup, on about 130-140 amps on sch 40 carbon steel pipe, with 2.4mm rod i dont have 3.2.

Im not doing a butt im just going around the pipe to practice, i clean the paint off before i weld.

Thanks
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Try doing it flat, get that drum rolling motion and feeling down. Turn the amps down to around 85, sounds like your not moving fast enough with each wiggle and soaking the part with extra heat.

5g is the hardest position, try 2g first walking around the outside of the pipe like your doing, excellent practice. 2.4mm filler is fine...
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Moose,
I too am working on mastering walking the cup. The most frustrating thing to me is how long it is taking. I normally don't struggle long with things but this is a task. I agree with Rick, work on flat welding first. I started there as well and then said "I got it" and moved on to 2G pipe and need to go back to plate. It is harder than it looks, in my opinion. A few friends and I are posting our results on Instagram as we practice and it helps to have others offering advise. The best thing I can tell you is the same thing they are telling me, more seat time.
-Jonathan
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Here's one from some practice...
Attachments
IMG_20140409_154416.jpg
IMG_20140409_154416.jpg (42.98 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

Superiorwelding wrote:Moose,
I too am working on mastering walking the cup. The most frustrating thing to me is how long it is taking. I normally don't struggle long with things but this is a task. I agree with Rick, work on flat welding first. I started there as well and then said "I got it" and moved on to 2G pipe and need to go back to plate. It is harder than it looks, in my opinion. A few friends and I are posting our results on Instagram as we practice and it helps to have others offering advise. The best thing I can tell you is the same thing they are telling me, more seat time.
-Jonathan
@Jonathan,From the look of your Prof Pic, It seems you have nailed it.
Not too long ago, I was at a fab facility where I watched a welder continuing to complete his cap on some fairly large stainless. His timing and repetition was something I have never seen before except possibly on YouTube. Absolutely amazing

- I tend to get confused when welders generally say "walk the cup", but as Moose has explained that he is not doing a groove weld and rather just building the surface- So I see what he is trying to accomplish.
Hopefully I am not offering bad advice to you.
Depending on how awkward my body positioning was I would generally use 2 variations on the bottom.
1. having the cup pointed towards me. Or, 2. Like you normally would walk in figure 8's.
With that said, I would still rest the Torch handle between thumb and forefinger with some grip; However, I would try to let the roll of the cup make a pivot feeling(counter pressure) between each finger whilst still gripping. You don't want it to slip.

Btw, with that much amperage, I would think your tungsten needs to be sharp to provide the wider arc. 1/8" filler rod would probably help out as well, but you mentioned you don't have it. What size diameter is this pipe? Also, Are you just practicing for now? Or does the apprenticeship not have you join pipe for practice?
forrestderp
    Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 am

Get yourself a flex head, helps a lot. And yeah practice on flat.
forrestderp
    Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 am

IMG_20141230_130144.jpg
IMG_20141230_130144.jpg (73.14 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
we
IMG_20141207_200907.jpg
IMG_20141207_200907.jpg (72.81 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
Some pics of practice, also What helped me was to step Away from the amptrol and use lift start or scratch start then stop fussing over settings and just weld.
IMG_20141230_130144.jpg
IMG_20141230_130144.jpg (73.14 KiB) Viewed 1194 times