Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
maintmech1245
    Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 pm

Dumb question, but can you walk the cup with a flex head torch? I could see if the torch is too flexible it would bend when trying to walk it. I've obviously never used one, so thanks for the help.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Lots of pipe welding done with flex head. The better quality ones don't move, stay where you put them. Plus there is not too much pressure on the torch, just light surface pressure.
taz
    Mon May 26, 2014 12:43 pm

Exactly.
Actually putting too much pressure when walking the cup in a mistake everyone makes at the beginning.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

There's actually a topic here, somewhere, about DGS, or "Death Grip Syndrome"...

Stiff-handing the torch... Too much grip and too much pressure in an instinctive attempt to keep control.

Walking the cup well requires a soft grip and a light touch, so a flex-head torch should never be a problem.

[EDIT] If you use the search function for "death grip syndrome", you'll get at least three topics with a mention.

Steve S
maintmech1245
    Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 pm

Hey thanks a lot everyone!
DylanWelds
    Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:25 am

A lot of the welders I work with say flex head is awful for walking the cup. I've never used a flex head torch but I do have a flex loc which is great. Gives me any angle I want on a restricted or awkward weld and I can lock it into place so I can walk the cup without worrying about it moving on me. If you have the extra 200 I highly recommend buying one!
'Stang
    Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 pm

DylanWelds wrote:A lot of the welders I work with say flex head is awful for walking the cup. I've never used a flex head torch but I do have a flex loc which is great. Gives me any angle I want on a restricted or awkward weld and I can lock it into place so I can walk the cup without worrying about it moving on me. If you have the extra 200 I highly recommend buying one!
I agree! I got one last Christmas. It is great for about any position. I love it. Just wish I had more time to use it! Lol. Hate it when work interferes with fun!! The Flexlock with the super-flex cable makes life fun for a tig welder.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

My flex-head stays in place. The comment about death grip syndrome is very true. Light touch is all that is required for walking the cup. The pressure required to position the head is much higher.
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
cameronccc
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:36 pm

I weld pipe with a ck 17 flex head all day everyday. So do the other 50 welders workin with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk