Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
lucky
    Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:02 pm

I have the flex loc 230 torch and when I pull the long back cap off, I do this more often then not, the oring seems to get damaged. It seems to hang up when I pull it off, so it keeps getting damaged. I tried taking the damaged one off of another cap I have, but it broke in half VERY easily when I tried to roll it off.

Is this a common issue with this torch and oring? It seems like a crappy design. Can I use a common oring, or do I have to buy that specific one? I am up the creek as we speak.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

If you need to get it going any oring will do. The original may have a higher temp rating so might be worthwhile keeping some spares. I've been using a flexloc for a couple of years now and not changed any orings yet. You may have a burr on the thread or something cutting your oring.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Put a tiny dab of silicone grease on it.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

I screwed a couple of o-rings up on torches. If you need a few quick. I have gotten them from usaweld.com, they are not on website but if you call they have them and ship fast. I keep a few extras in box in case I mess one of them up. I noticed since I went with wedge collets over split collets haven't messed up o-ring since. My personal thoughts on it are sometimes those split collets when they get hot the tungsten comes loose I would tighten the back cap and believe with the torch and o-ring being that hot it would stick a little and tear. plus as we all know the split collet is twisting when its hot at this time too.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

exnailpounder wrote:Put a tiny dab of silicone grease on it.
Agreed. They're meant to be lubricated.

Silicone lube is the ideal. 99 cents as spark-plug boot grease at the auto parts house.

Steve S
dirtmidget33

Otto Nobedder wrote:

Silicone lube is the ideal. 99 cents as spark-plug boot grease at the auto parts house.

Steve S
Have you actually done this? I realize we are talking as small amount of grease, but even high temperature grease breaks down. Have you ever had or thought you had contamination from this? It is a great idea if it doesn't lead to contamination later.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:

Steve S
I do use the silicone
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

i use dialectic grease
any auto store
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder

Dirtmidget...I have used just a tiny dab of plumbers silicone grease on all my back cap o-rings...just the tip of a toothpick amount..and I have had my torch so hot the cup cracks off and the grease has never thinned out and run into the collet. I started doing it when I noticed my orings getting a little chewed up.
Of course now I NEVER dip my tungsten anymore so the cap never comes off :lol:
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I also use the dielectric grease on the orings...just a little don't gob it on. No issues at all.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
dirtmidget33

Well thanks for info. :D I got dielectric in stock in shop never thought about using it for this will give it a shot. It prolly could have saved a couple of orings from having an early death. :(
motox

jeff
dipping my tungsten depends on how good
my eyes are on a given day...
some days i weld a lot some days i grind a lot.......lol
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder

Craig,,,its funny you say that because some days my eyes are better than others. Some days I'm not hung over and I never dip...I'm starting to notice a connection :lol:
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

If you have to replace the o-ring, it's probably best to go with a Viton one for the temp., but I've used regular ones and never had a problem. I use a flex-loc all the time and get it hot enough to melt the knob off it from the inside out and have never had an o-ring fail. I use only wedge collets though and seldom remove the back cap, only to put on a button cap for tight spots.

I've never put any grease on them, but I've always worked in a shop where a drawer of o-rings was commonplace. Can't see why it would hurt though.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
motox

Brings like a little lube, learned this years ago rebuilding
motorcycle shocks. the hard why i might add.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
motox

O rings not B rings....... auto spell
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250