Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
southofheaven
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:40 am

Hey I'm pretty fresh at tig welding and I have a couple questions about welding tubing and welding out of position....

I always wondered what I would do if I found myself in a position where I was laying on my back underneath a work piece or something. How would I operate the foot pedal in such a scenario? If I found myself in that situation should I use a scratch start rig or maybe a torch with the switch on the handle?

My second question deals with welding all the way around a piece of tubing without a positioner. While making my way around the piece of tubing or pipe is it common practice to stop when you get out of position then reposition yourself or the work piece and then begin again or is there a better way? If it's a common practice to stop and restart are there any tips that anyone can share to make the weld look consistent?
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Welcome to the forum. Getting out of position is just a fact of life. On larger tube you will be able to make longer welds but you will still have to stop at some point. Sometimes you just can't make all your welds beautiful, but you can make them strong. Everybody loves that cool stack of dimes look but sometimes it just isn't doable. A torch switch helps when you can't use a pedal so it is nice to have one in the drawer should the need arise. Before I got a torch switch, I have knelt on the pedal and even held it between my legs like a thigh-master. You can be real creative at pedal operation but a torch switch is nice in bad spots. Sitting at a table and getting all set up for a TIG weld usually means you can produce a very nice weld. Laying on your back or climbing into something while operating the pedal with your butt cheeks is another story :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Yeah I have the wireless pedal which helps at times but I also have the torch switch ready to go in my box. I've used my foot, knee, legs etc. There is no shame or issue with stopping and restarting....

I can count the times I've used a positioner on one hand, can't tell you how many times I've hung upside down, laying over pipes up against a wall or had to use a mirror to weld
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

rick
what are your setting when you use that mirror welder...lol
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Craig, unless you're Dyslexic you can't read your settings while mirror welding. :lol:

Kidding, mine are the same, I find it easier if I can go faster, less time to think too much.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

motox wrote:rick
craig
Reversed from a normal welder naturally :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
exnailpounder

MinnesotaDave wrote:
craig
Come on Dave .....you know there is no such thing as a normal welder! :lol:
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:
craig
Come on Dave .....you know there is no such thing as a normal welder! :lol:
...hmmmm....you might have something there..... :D

Statistically speaking, there has to be one guy at the Median...let's assume he's "normal."
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
exnailpounder

Normal is no fun! I have to play normal around my kids and my mother-in-law but I'm pretty sure I'm not fooling anyone. How do these threads get so far off topic anyway? :D
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

The trick is to make out of position welding seem as normal as possible in other words weld easy welds like you would an out of position weld. My speedglas helmet falls off if my head is sideways so all I use these days is a $20 plastic bucket helmet- it stays on all positions. I rarely ever use a pedal any more except for thin material on the bench. All my torches are fitted with switches and if you are running hot pulsing works really well.
Do this all the time and out of position is much easier.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

southofheaven wrote:Hey I'm pretty fresh at tig welding and I have a couple questions about welding tubing and welding out of position....

I always wondered what I would do if I found myself in a position where I was laying on my back underneath a work piece or something. How would I operate the foot pedal in such a scenario? If I found myself in that situation should I use a scratch start rig or maybe a torch with the switch on the handle?

My second question deals with welding all the way around a piece of tubing without a positioner. While making my way around the piece of tubing or pipe is it common practice to stop when you get out of position then reposition yourself or the work piece and then begin again or is there a better way? If it's a common practice to stop and restart are there any tips that anyone can share to make the weld look consistent?

When tig welding out of position, you can run the pedal between your knees, or with your heel, or elbow, etc etc....

Just be thankful that you don't have sparks falling all over you, like me!!
IMG_0584.JPG
IMG_0584.JPG (64.97 KiB) Viewed 582 times
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

@akweldshop this is why I don't like anything but TIG lol. No thank you! I normally wish they would let me weld everything at work with the squirt gun, right up until I'm actually laying under there welding the SCam brackets or chamber brackets back on lol
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

GreinTime wrote:@akweldshop this is why I don't like anything but TIG lol. No thank you! I normally wish they would let me weld everything at work with the squirt gun, right up until I'm actually laying under there welding the SCam brackets or chamber brackets back on lol
Swapping in Euclid brackets for the brake chambers?

Steve S
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

A bunch of funny guys...lol I dont check a thread for a few days and look what happens. Depends on the deflection angle of the light hitting my mirror as far as settings go.

AK, had to do some of that MIG overhead the other night, I really need to where my damn weld cap more could feel everything hitting me through my hair net (food plant), I dont need any more help losing hair.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Rick_H wrote:A bunch of funny guys...lol I dont check a thread for a few days and look what happens. Depends on the deflection angle of the light hitting my mirror as far as settings go.

AK, had to do some of that MIG overhead the other night, I really need to where my damn weld cap more could feel everything hitting me through my hair net (food plant), I dont need any more help losing hair.

Mig most times throws more sparks then smaw.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
southofheaven
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:40 am

Thank you all for your replies. Not only were they extremely informative, but genuinely entertaining as well! Much appreciated guys!