Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

So I have talked myself into another visual test with a shop.

The coupon should be a 2-3" sch40(ish) 300 series stainless piece of pipe.
I'm hurtin for OTJ welding experience and I sure need this... Wish me luck!
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Good luck! Take your time, think about and plan how you will progress before you start each step. Roll your wrist around it several times before starting and get a good body position.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Agreed, practice how far you can comfortably travel around the pipe before you light-up. We always see Jody do a practice pass.

And Good luck!
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Slow and steady... Follow the wps, clean the bevels up and the edge of the pipe knocking off to shiny metal, clean, clean, clean in between passes, let it cool to nearly touch in between passes, breathe...

I prefer to go up one side RH and up the other LH...dry passes. Do you have to walk the cup, or is freehand acceptable.

Good luck...
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

Rick_H wrote: I prefer to go up one side RH and up the other LH...dry passes. Do you have to walk the cup, or is freehand acceptable.
Good luck...
I prefer to do that as well. Trying to get an ok day when I am not covered in insulation fiber or wait for the weekend, Then I will report back.