Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Wayde
    Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:52 pm

Hi Guys,

I need some help, with lack of skilled people who left, corrupt government with shrinking economy here in SA we don't have a lot of companies or products available.

Recently I noticed how well hot wire TIG works for people abroad especially if one looks at Tip Tig. I have built my own system using a modified MIG wirefeeder, 200 amp decent Tig inverter (little small) and additional inverter for hotwire amps. I am running a 3.2 mm Tungsten, biggest in SA is 4.8. My two major issues are porosity and how to get a flat weld. Most of my welds are decent build up but very round. How do I get it flatter? Any experience? Any idea on parameters?
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Can you post photo(s) of your current results?
What are you welding? How is the joint prepared? Are you running multiple passes?
A little more detail on the job will help us to help you.
Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
Wayde

Hi Trev,

I am using a piece of solid en3 mild steel as a test piece. I have machined a big part of it true so that it will be running true in my 3 jaw postioner. Tungsten electrode is currently 3.2mm (ordered 4.8 mm which the biggest we can get here), running 200amps straight current no pulse. Using Argon or Stainshield TIG gas, WFS is about 140ipm and running 100 hot wire anps. With that I get the best result but still some porosity and stil a very round bead. The only way I can get the bead to look better is to weave the torch by hand. However this will not work when doing automated job such as a shaft build up etc. I am trying to get more or less the same results as Redman Controls. See links below. Will take some pictures during the week and post it. See picture attached of weaving done with ER70-SG2 wite from Bohler.

http://Www.redmancontrols.com or youtube hotwire tig
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-06-05-14-04-19.png
Screenshot_2015-06-05-14-04-19.png (643.7 KiB) Viewed 589 times
Screenshot_2015-06-05-14-03-53.png
Screenshot_2015-06-05-14-03-53.png (652.04 KiB) Viewed 589 times
Wayde

Oh forgot to mention, this single pass without feed. Welding DC- and hotwire DC +. Red electrode as we can only get red or green here. Tungsten stick out is about 12 mm and from the workpiece about 5 mm. Positioner sspeed is 6ipm and wire is fed into the front of the puddle as that gives me the least porosity
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Welcome
never ceases to amaze how inventive/adaptive people are with the tools available.
can't help, way out of my field.
will follow with interest.
wish you success. others here will have some insight to help.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)