Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Tygrys
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:58 pm

Other than " all the way up" are there any settings that you can recommend? It's a butt joint extending a piece of 5" x .25 wall Al tube, alloy is 6061 T6 511. We have a torch cooler and a Speedway torch.
Hardrock
    Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:49 pm

Never tried it. I bet a 50 helium / 50 argon mix would be sweet on that project. If you could preheat that would help with with just argon also.

If your talking a square butt joint, not gona get much penetration. Would be nice to put a bevel on each side but thats not what you have so maybe someone will give you better advice.

I'm interested also, as I should be getting a project with 1/4" thick channel, I'll be using the same machine. I'm considering preheat and maybe picking up a digital laser temp gage to see if that helps. 200 degrees or just over should help.
anthonyfawley
    Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

I really dont preheat the thinner aluminum much. but if it were me I use a 75 25 argon mix. about 150 amps + or -. I dont have the Dynasty 200 thou either. Not sure if I helped or not good luck
Anthony