Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
BrettB
    Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:16 am

Hi Guys
I have 2 formula ford race car bell housing in bits l have welded the first bell housing with out a problem using az92a filler
The second bell housing feels a bit heaver and the az92a wont take to the parent metal it will lay in but when cool
it falls out
Any ideas guys were I'm going wrong or is it a different magnesium

Cheers
Brett
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Can it be aluminum?
The weight difference would be significant.
Grind some chips off with a carbide burr and try to set it on fire.
Mag would burn with the help of a propane torch. Protect eyes with a weld lens and dont ever try to put out the flames with water.
BrettB
    Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:16 am

I tried an Aluminium filler 4043 but it doesn't look like its taking to the base metal
Its some sort of Mag the chips do burn
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

BrettB wrote:I tried an Aluminium filler 4043 but it doesn't look like its taking to the base metal
Its some sort of Mag the chips do burn
If it is alum with a higher percentage of magnesium added I would try 5356 it has 5% magnesium in its composition, it is made to weld a lot of the 5000 series alum but I wouldn't think a bell would be made of that.

Since it burns I assume it is definitely mag, some grades are not weldable. You could also put a little white vinegar on it of it bubbles quickly after you apply it is indeed magnesium.

Are you on a race team or is something you picked up? Generally welding a bell housing is a no no. I've welded ears back on for a specialty piece in the past, but other then that all the race stuff I have touched is SFI approved and steel
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB