Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
mattc
    Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:55 pm

Hello Everyone,

I kind of hit a road block today. I have a miller syncrowave 300, I was looking high and low and finally found a pc-300 pulser pendent to get the pulse working on my machine. To my terrible dismay the plugs match up. the pulser plug dont match where the pedal plugs into the machine and the pedal plug wont plug in back of the pc-300 pulser box. The syn 300 is from the 80's and the pulser is from the mid 90's. is this setup compatible?

mattc wrote:Hello Everyone,

I kind of hit a road block today. I have a miller syncrowave 300, I was looking high and low and finally found a pc-300 pulser pendent to get the pulse working on my machine. To my terrible dismay the plugs match up. the pulser plug dont match where the pedal plugs into the machine and the pedal plug wont plug in back of the pc-300 pulser box. The syn 300 is from the 80's and the pulser is from the mid 90's. is this setup compatible?
Hello, cannot the seller assist you with this? I believe the most PPS you'd get from this machine is 25, I might be wrong though. I used a Syncrowave 300 a with the built in pulser and that's what I remember, but that was many years ago
Richard
Website
mattc

It was from another type of miller machine, seeing if it will adapt to mine. They go for a small fortune on ebay
Maxstar300lx
    Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:44 am

Hi,
which serial# on the model Pc-300 do you have? thay came with blue and also black face models.
if you post the serial # on the millerwelds.com website in the users manuals dropdown menu box you will get the owners manual and in it will tell you how to set the internal switches (2) in the unit to operate on low pulse settings (as indicated on the panel dial) or the high pulse settings on the same dial.
if you are using a transformer style unit you can only use the low pulse settings as that what transformer units can operate with, however inverter style units can operate on both low and high settings but you have to open the cover to set the internal switches as per manual for your unit.
as for the 14pin connecting cables for your unit you have to go to the back of the manual to the PARTS LISTS and take the part# for the listed cable to your LWS where they can order it for you, or if you are a DIY person you can take the number on the AMPHENOL 14 pin plug or receptable on the unit and do a web search with Galco or other supplier and select the mating plug and pins and cable and make your own, the manual will also have a schematic for the cable/plug connections and what they do.
one nice benefit of the Pc-300 pulser on a advanced square wave inverter machine is that it quiets down the annoying pulsing sound at high pulse frequencies and gives you a "soft arc" feel also
hope this helps
;)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Matt,

I'm going to guess your SW has a 7-pin connector and the pulser has a 14-pin, or vice-versa.

If this is the case you can make them talk. A li'l research will get you the pinouts for the two connectors. The 14-pin only uses seven, and they do the same thing as those on the seven pin at the same voltages, currents, and resistances.

It's just a matter of changing the connectors on the pulser to match the machine and pedal (usually easier than getting in the machine and changing THAT nightmare.

Actually, "somewhere" I have the pinouts. I'll see if I can find them. They may be at work, which means Tuesday at the earliest.

Steve S
mattc

Awesome!!!Sounds like Im still in business getting this old baby decked out! In have a black faced pulser I will post pics.

Thanks a Ton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mattc

Here is the back of pulser
Attachments
IMG_3174.JPG
IMG_3174.JPG (54.64 KiB) Viewed 1996 times

Yep, that's the standard 14-pin configuration. You'll notice only 6 pins are actually used. 2 for the switch, 3 for the pot, and a ground/shield.

You can buy converting cables with 7-pin male or female on one end, and 14-pin male or female in the other, and make it "plug and play", rather than sorting the pinouts and building your own.

Steve S
mattc

Just down loaded and printed manual from Miller, on a mission!! Thank you all for the help!!! All input is so appreciated!!!
mattc

Here is the plug that the pedal plugs into
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (59.67 KiB) Viewed 1980 times

Ah, the five-pin is a bit of a relic.

Does your pedal have a separate clamp for ground with the five-pin male?

The five pins on your machine serve the critical functions (two for the switch, three for the pot), but lacks a shield terminal connection, so a separate clamp on the pedal cable was not uncommon.

This will still work.

Steve S
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:but lacks a shield terminal connection, so a separate clamp on the pedal cable was not uncommon.
Outer threaded portion of the 5-pin plug in the photo looks metal, so that could be ment to be used as the shielding/chassis connection as well?

Fairly common practice in these types of screw-on connector terminals in other applications. As long as the mating plug is of course metal-bodied and any wiring shield braiding is connected to the body. Plastic tends to conduct pretty badly :lol:

Bye, Arno.
    Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:05 am

I have a synchro 250 and would be happy to get a pulser function going on it

My miller synchro 250 is from 1989; any idea where I should look for a pulser for this ?

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Adam.

Superiorwelding is reviewing just such a unit for it's maker.

PM him, and get the details.

Steve S
    Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:05 am

Thank you Steve !!
Will do today

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom Osselton
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 am

I'm interested in getting one for my miller syncrowave 351 would it work on it? It has the 14pin pedal I'm just begining this adventure with tig but also have to look down the road.