Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
wish i could weld
    Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:02 pm

It is time to refill my tig machine gas. Would a mix help on aluminum and still be okay on other metal?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

wish i could weld wrote:It is time to refill my tig machine gas. Would a mix help on aluminum and still be okay on other metal?
Jody has some recent videos on mixing some helium in with his argon.
Check them out.
He welded 1" aluminum together with 175amps in one of them.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

wish i could weld wrote:It is time to refill my tig machine gas. Would a mix help on aluminum and still be okay on other metal?
If your wanting helium, bend over. Sure it would help but do you have a need great enough to justify the cost?
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

I guess your gas choice would depend on your welding requirements, if its called for in a proceedure, thickness of material etc and whether or not you're getting paid.
Hobby welder? Probably not worth it except for the experience.
Thats my call.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Helium/argon blends will work great on steel and stainless. It's not uncommon at all in automated processes like orbital welding. But, as mentioned, there's the cost.

Over time, it's better to have two bottles, unless you're doing aluminum as a high percentage of your welds, with only the occasional steel weld.

Steve S
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

If you're like me, willing to buy an expensive tool to prepare yourself for that challenging task, get a bottle of helium. When argon isn't cutting the mustard, add a bit. Helium is an expensive supply, use it when needed.