Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

(apologies for the rubbish photo)

Have just started welding with my new baby #9 air cooled torch. Nothing too fancy, flex head, gas lens. Small, light and nimble.

Can't believe what I can do with this torch compared with the monster #26 air cooled torch that came standard with my machine. Everything now seems easier and sweeter.

So I just wanted to say to anyone out there considering purchasing a welding machine/package; if you have the option, specify the type/size torch that will be delivered with it. While I'll still have a use now and then for my #26, it's just way too big for the small parts welding that I most often do. And had I specified a smaller torch to be supplied with my original order, my welding guy would have been happy to help.

I was so wrapped up in machine features that I forgot altogether to think about which torch would be best for me.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd mention this as a 'heads up' to any newbies who are in the throes of buying a welding machine package - think about your welding and specify a torch that best suits your purposes.

Cheers!

Kym
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Ok Kym you sold me.
As the old ad said "Where did you get it?"
And how much.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....

ex framie wrote:Ok Kym you sold me.
As the old ad said "Where did you get it?"
And how much.
(Disclaimer - I am not on any sort of commission!)

Hey Pete.

I get almost all of my stuff from Pete at Tokentools. In this case I simply called him and told him that I wanted the lightest possible #9 flex head torch on a 4-metre lead with connectors matched to my machine, a paddle torch switch, cable and connector for when I need to go 2T, plus a gas lens kit. Price was around the $150 mark delivered.

Rapt. Obviously the torch heats up a lot quicker than the old #26 but I do mostly low amp welding and very little sustained stuff so I don't care. The #9 is just so nimble and easy to use. I have some really tight, awkward jobs coming up soon and this torch will make all the difference for me.

Kym
Harry72
    Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:59 am

I've looking at getting a 20 series for mine, small 9 size with a good 200ish amp capability(watercooled obviously)but been having trouble gettin me mits on one.
I tried Everlast Australia to order one from the main Everlast mob but they cant or wont for some reason :roll:
I dont have a local WS with this kind of product... they questioned "why I would need pure argon" when I 1st got my welder, every thing around these parts is galv and mig welded apparently :roll:
Nothing on ebay(au), the only place left for me is Weldfabulous (ebay usa)to grab a CK set up, considering the prices to have one custom built here in Oz its well under half the price!
Wanting the CK20 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CK-CK20-25SF ... 3ab2e1b957
Just need to add a micro switch/7pin plug(already have on current WP18 torch)and change the hoses fittings to match the 9mm quick release on my machine.

Hoping to con the missus for xmas :D

Looks nice Harry.

To clarify, Pete at TokenTools isn't my local WS...in fact he's two states away! But the service is very good so he is my go-to guy for welding stuff.

His website doesn't actually list the torch I specified, but he's happy to make up whatever you need from what I understand. Be sure to post pics of your new torch when it shows up!

Kym
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Harry72 wrote: Nothing on ebay(au), the only place left for me is Weldfabulous (ebay usa)to grab a CK set up, considering the prices to have one custom built here in Oz its well under half the price!
Wanting the CK20 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CK-CK20-25SF ... 3ab2e1b957

Hoping to con the missus for xmas :D

Best of luck with your lady and convincing her!

I bought that exact torch, but I cheated and did a will-call order and picked it up at CK's actual shop. No retail sales, or I'd have done the whole thing there.

Great torch, and the super flex hoses are exactly as the name implies. They feel floppy, unlike the hose on my 26 torch.
Now I just need to finish getting my water pump plumbed up so I can use it!
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Harry,
I have used these guys for plasma and tig consumables, they also have tig handpieces which I havent used yet, undoubtedly not the quality of the CK torches but available.
http://riverweldstore.com/
Easy people to deal with but takes 3 weeks to get here from china.
Just another option to add to Token tools and US vendors.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....

Add to that Hampdon Welding online.

I haven't bought tons of stuff from them but in all of my dealings I have been very impressed by their customer service. Real people who take the time to help.

Kym
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

I have used torch heads from River weld and they are ok for home shop use.
Just dont go over the current rating.
Harry72
    Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:59 am

I had a look at Riverweld, prices seem impossibly cheap for the whole lot they're rating them at 200amps my machine is 210 so if I crank it will it smoke?
Wouldnt surprise me if thats where my current torch comes from :lol: it seems excessively heavy with extended use, the cable/hoses are not real flexible and the cover is about 4" thick rubber(well thats what it feels like with tennis elbow) and its much too short.
I have already changed it from the euro handle to a straight one with a micro switch made a pretty big difference and I thought it was pretty cool being able to swing the micro switch around the handle much more comfortable!

Yes Hampdons have a good range most of my bits n pieces are from them, they are great to deal with... and I reckon they have an employee who is a packing ninja fricken amazing how much they can fit in a post pack :mrgreen:

Harry -

I think there are probably plenty of Australian sellers who are buying in the Chinese stuff and reselling it. And I think it's mostly okay for the hobbyist. I've only ever had one minor issue with a part and this was promptly sorted by the seller.

Hampdons push a brand called Parweld which does seem to be a cut above the more pedestrian stuff.

As for smoking a torch...I now have the size 9 and the 26. As soon as I get onto heavy/high amp stuff I'll be switching to the 26 rather than risk cooking the little 9. Not quite ready for a water cooled rig yet but let's face it, it will happen eventually.

Kym
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Harry72 wrote: they're rating them at 200amps my machine is 210 so if I crank it will it smoke?
The first thing that will give in is the small argon line that goes thru the head.
The whole head will then be pressurised. Thats ok if the head is fairly new but it will eventually leak at the back cap.

Exceeding current a lot for longer period and the rubber around the head will melt.

200 amps AC on a 9 torch is over the top. It lasted about 15 minutes but it saved an engine block 8-)

I use a lot of Parweld stuff and they are a lot better than many other chinese brands.
Have their 9 20 and 26 torches, and the tig aswell
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

A torch head is a desposible item and should be viewed as such. I have burnt up several 150 amp torches from running to hot too long. Be prepared to get rid of it just like you would a bad collet.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

I have been using my little #9 for everything lately, amps gradually creeping up on AC.

It's just so hard to go back to that awful big 26 after using the 9. So Poland I agree with your take on the situation - if I fry heads, I'll just replace them, treating them as a disposable part.

Kym
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

If you really want to live life large, get a #20 CK water cooled, flex neck torch. Throw a gas lens collet body/cup on there. its the same size as a #9 torch but is rated for a 100% duty cycle at 250 amps. You really don't need any other torch one you have this ;) Of course you then have to spring for a water cooler or build one on your own. But its worth it.
Multimatic 255
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

That's what I plan on getting once my water cooler is done. Flex neck is so nice.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Louie1961 wrote:If you really want to live life large, get a #20 CK water cooled, flex neck torch. Throw a gas lens collet body/cup on there. its the same size as a #9 torch but is rated for a 100% duty cycle at 250 amps. You really don't need any other torch one you have this ;) Of course you then have to spring for a water cooler or build one on your own. But its worth it.
At work I've run the CK #20 water-cooled non-flex at 310A HFAC for 20 minutes at a time pausing only long enough to grab another rod. Excellent product, exceeds it's advertised rating. I've actually done the same with a WeldCraft #20 water-cooled, but the collets didn't hold up as well due to smaller area exposed to coolant.

Steve S
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Louie1961 wrote:If you really want to live life large, get a #20 CK water cooled, flex neck torch. Throw a gas lens collet body/cup on there. its the same size as a #9 torch but is rated for a 100% duty cycle at 250 amps. You really don't need any other torch one you have this ;) Of course you then have to spring for a water cooler or build one on your own. But its worth it.
..and then when you want to stop living life as a peasant and wish to become royalty, you get a Ck or TecTorch roto-head and throw on a huge jumbo CK Pyrex gas lens :)

motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Louie1961 wrote:
If you really want to live life large, get a #20 CK water cooled, flex neck torch. Throw a gas lens collet body/cup on there. its the same size as a #9 torch but is rated for a 100% duty cycle at 250 amps. You really don't need any other torch one you have this ;) Of course you then have to spring for a water cooler or build one on your own. But its worth it.

..and then when you want to stop living life as a peasant and wish to become royalty, you get a Ck or TecTorch roto-head and throw on a huge jumbo CK Pyrex gas lens :)

LIKE!
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil