Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jmn
  • jmn
    Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:19 am

Does anyone have tool steel tig welding experience? 01 to 01 or A2 to A2, unhardened?

I would like to make some specialized socket handle style woodworking chisels and would like to weld the socket handle portion to the 1/4" thick flat stock rather than machining the whole tool from a large piece of bar stock.

What is a good filler rod and a good pre-heat temp and cool-down procedure?

Thanks
allessence
    Sat May 29, 2010 4:08 pm

jmn wrote:Does anyone have tool steel tig welding experience? 01 to 01 or A2 to A2, unhardened?

I would like to make some specialized socket handle style woodworking chisels and would like to weld the socket handle portion to the 1/4" thick flat stock rather than machining the whole tool from a large piece of bar stock.

What is a good filler rod and a good pre-heat temp and cool-down procedure?

Thanks
I've built several chisels over the years.. Question is why a tool steel for the socket for the handle? What kind of chisel are you making as this subject is pretty large.. tools for turning, framing chisels, finish chisels. etc, etc.

On the O1 to O1 preheat and clean, clean clean will be important.. If you are looking for color match after heat treating I can't help you as this was the last thing I was concerned with..

Depending on the reinforcement you are looking for.. Tool bit, then small short tang, then socket a rod for low alloy or 4140 tubing would work.. Just preheat the area and be cognizant of cold cracking.. I've used 70-6 with no issued but again it doesn't color match if leaving a patina and is also dependent on the heat treatment you are going to be using..
    Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

I'm a toolmaker in a jet engine factory and I have to weld O-1 and A2. These will break if you don't heat treat them after welding. I looked for the correct wire to use on the O-1 and it's expensive and rare. The supplier that I checked with said that they would have to special order it. I don't weld O-1 very often and I've been using 4130 wire on it because that is what I use on 4140, and they are both oil hardening steels. I have an air hardening wire that I use on A2, but I don't know the number on it.
Freddie

You probably won't find the wire at your local welding supply, but it is available. Weld Mold 935 for the O1 and Weld Mold 937 for the air hardened steel.

Give them a call, they can provide the wire and the correct procedure. Perhaps for your situation they may even have other options.
Richard
Website