Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Nathannamaya
    Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Hey guys! I've got an old Lincoln water cooled IdealArc, and every time I turn the machine on, before I even initiate an arc or step on the floor pedal, it starts pumping out argon. Any ideas of what this could be and how I could fix it? I've got a normal 20 style torch on it.
Last edited by Nathannamaya on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'd disconnect the pedal, then turn it on. If it flows argon then, the problem's internal. If not, your pedal is out of adjustment or has a bad switch.

Steve S
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

If it flows after pedal is un plugged: disconnect leads to gas solenoid (mains off first).Power up again. If it still flow gas valve is stuck open, replace.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I could be wrong but I believe this is normal for this machine to purge out the lines? There is a factory that I was doing work at not to long ago and theirs did the same thing when it was first turned on. Just a thought.
-Jonathan
Nathannamaya

Yeah, I got the pedal all disconnected and it still flows right when I switch it on. Could it be the gas valve?
Nathannamaya

If it is the solenoid, where could I purchase one? And how hard would it be to install a new one?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Probably just a couple of screws , 2 wires , and a pair of compression fittings.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Nathan,
I believe your machine has a solenoid mounted with 2 screws though the panel into the back side of the solenoid and 2 90* 5/8-18 x 1/4 NPT elbows. Most solenoid valve can be torn down and cleaned, replace any O-rings and your back in business. Use a small amount of silicone based grease when you put it back together to avoid ripping the O-rings.

They're a very simple mechanism and if you have any mechanical ability at all you can handle the repair. 2 wires to the coil, which most times can even be left wired if the leads are long enough, and the fittings disconnected, remove the screws and it's out.

Shoot us a picture of the machine with the side cover off and we can walk you through it if you want.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Nathan,

If I read right, the gas doesn't flow until the machine is turned on, so it's not a stuck solenoid... So the solenoid is opening when the machine sees power. That's why I suggested disconnecting the remote, to rule out a stuck switch in the pedal. You have, and it still flows, so it's not in the pedal.

Someone suggested a set time of flow at power-up to purge the hoses.

Nathan, does the gas flow for a few (or several) seconds and shut off? Does it flow until you strike and break an arc? Or does it flow as long as the machine is on?

Steve S
Nathannamaya

Len, that would be great! Won't be able to get to the shop this weekend though, so it might not be until Monday. But I could definitely use some step my step help on it!

Steve, it flows as soon as I switch the machine on, and doesn't stop flowing until I switch the machine off. So I'm not sure if it's the machine purging out the lines. Any other idea of what it could be?
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Nathan,
I would think if the flow stops when the welder is shut off, then Steve is right, it's probably not a stuck solenoid. It would seem that the solenoid is getting power from somewhere keeping it open. First thing to do is make sure it's set to local control and if it still does it that changes the game a little and you'll need to be able to test the leads going to the solenoid with a meter. Setting it to local should eliminate the remote circuit all together if it's like my Dialarc.

If you're not confident working with electrical equipment, I'd get someone who is or take it to a service center. It's not hard to do but I wouldn't want to see anybody get hurt working with a powered up system.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
682bear
    Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:59 pm

My Dialarc 250 has a timer that controls postflow.... Also, when the machine is turned on, argon flows for 10 seconds or so to purge the lines. The previous owner told me that the timer malfunctioned and would let the gas flow continuously. He had installed a new timer and fixed the issue.

He gave me the old timer with the machine... I've been planning to check the relay in it to see if the contacts are burned... Fixing it may be as simple as cleaning the contacts...

I would start by checking the timer... If your machine is set up the same way.

-Bear