Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

tig_practice_c.jpg
tig_practice_c.jpg (30.98 KiB) Viewed 920 times
Finally got the chance, between MIGging up a display rack, and installing a new show in the planetarium, to get back to another, maybe, 30 minutes of practice on my AHP AlphaTIG 200X. Still have a total time of less than an hour on it, which is also the total of all the TIG time I've had in my life.

But, I'm making progress. As the image will show, I've mastered welding the filler rod to the bead, and one can also see where I managed to fuse the tungsten to the bead momentarily as well. Obviously, more practice is needed. However, through dedicated repetition, I'm getting pretty darn good at grinding tungstens.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
AFR_Autoworks
    Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:35 am

We all started somewhere. There is no way to learn besides practicing! What shielding gas and flow are you running on your machine right now?
Hollywood1
    Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 am

Practice makes perfect. Don't give up. I almost sold my welder 3 times in 6 months. Now I'm on my way. Welcome to the forum. John.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Keep it up.

I am also very good at sharpening tungstens....

Kym
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

But you're not as good as me :lol:
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
OzFlo
    Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

I've had my welder for a week and I too am a card carrying member of Tungsten Grinders Anonymous. :lol:
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

If your rod is not melting off easily in the puddle, you are not using enough amps. Using too little amps will get you a puddle but gets you a larger HAZ and minor penetration. Take it from an old tungsten grindin fool :lol: Most become tungsten experts long before they become good tig welders :D
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

35 years and still practising tungsten grinding.
It is large club. No experience required to join.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Same here, almost 35 years, still dipping and grinding. Good news is eventually your need to have a perfect grind on the tungsten goes away. Bad news is as you age and your eyesight starts to fail, you're back to dipping often again, so don't think you can get rid of that grinder anytime soon.

Try adding the rod to the leading edge of the puddle and let it be sucked in. If you're holding a tight arc you might have to slightly raise or back up your torch a little when you dip because the added filler will build up and cool the puddle. It's a timing thing and it takes practice.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

What's the rod size and amps. On a long weld I sometimes leave the rod stuck intentionally then just start back up after it cools.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

OK, let's see if I can answer all the questions here...

90 amps
Pure Ar for shielding gas
~ 15 cfh flow rate (I think, can't remember which scale I looked at last)
3/32" 1.5% Lanthanated tungsten
3/32" ER70S-2 filler
#7 stubby gas lens from Jody's kit

I've got no intention of giving up. Retirement from the educational system (I work for a university) is coming up next year, and I intend to spend my time in the shop building custom radio consoles for ham operators (and some other stuff). Good TIG skills will be essential.

Thanks for all the tips, guys. I do appreciate it...and I'll probably be back for more.

Very nice to know that I'm now a member in good standing of Tungsten Grinders Anonymous. Sounds like a great club. And may I suggest that we all get together for a Guinness sometime? There's a bartender here in Stephenville that pours a mighty fine one.
guinness.jpg
guinness.jpg (59.19 KiB) Viewed 707 times
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
ProStar O/A torch
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

BEER . . . . LOOSING FOCOUSE. BEERS GOOD.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

I was at Commanche Peak power plant in Glen Rose once and they suggested I go to Stepenville to get a tire fixed, I told them I had heard of the UFO sighting there on late night radio and I had no intention of returning to my own planet just yet and asked if there was anywhere else. They didn't find me as funny as I did for some reason.

One of the best steaks I've ever eaten was on that road heading to Stepenville from Glen Rose, 67 if I remember right.

I love that area.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Braehill wrote:I was at Comanche Peak power plant in Glen Rose once and they suggested I go to Stephenville to get a tire fixed, I told them I had heard of the UFO sighting there on late night radio and I had no intention of returning to my own planet just yet and asked if there was anywhere else. They didn't find me as funny as I did for some reason.

One of the best steaks I've ever eaten was on that road heading to Stephenville from Glen Rose, 67 if I remember right.

I love that area.

Len
Yeah, don't even get me started on the UFO "sightings" around here. Suffice it to say that all the alleged eyewitnesses were questionable in one way or another. Drunk, had illegal campfires, hunting after dark... You get the idea. Not real reliable witnesses.

You do indeed remember Highway 67 correctly. Some good eatin' places around here. It's nice country here in North Central Texas. Can get a bit hot and humid on occasion, but generally not bad at all. The A/C in my pickup has been broken for the last 5 years, and I haven't bothered to get it fixed, so it can't be too bad here. If you're ever headed this way again, let me know and we'll tag up.

One of my best friends here, a geology professor, was born in Noxen, PA. Don't know where that is from you, but he likes it well enough that he's planning on heading back there when he retires in 10 years or so.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
ProStar O/A torch
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Always thought Lubbock West Texas was the place for alien sightings.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

noddybrian wrote:Always thought Lubbock West Texas was the place for alien sightings.
Space aliens? Or "illegal aliens"... :lol:

Steve S

In this case, space aliens and their alleged vehicles. We had a UFO event a few years back. Well, some folks said they did, the rest of us didn't. The Air Force said it was some F-16s on night maneuvers. But, it was interesting for a while. Folks getting all excited about seeing a few lights in the sky.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
ProStar O/A torch
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I actually meant the 1951 sightings - but maybe there are'nt enough UFOlogists here ! either way we got off topic again somehow !

The sightings I was referring to would have been around 2002-2003 time frame, at least when I heard about them.

As far as the thread being off course, I believe some Texan was driving that bus when he mentioned beer.

In typical Texas fashion he says the weather's not too bad, meaning it never goes over 200*F in the shade. It was 127* in the bank parking lot in front of my hotel at Grandbury Lake. You're not in Pittsburgh anymore Toto.

Funny thing about the restaurant with the steak was that the owner was originally from Monroeville, Pa., about 10 miles from me.

Now what were we talking about anyway.

Len

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len