Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

Should a flowmeter's preset PSI be decided depending on the length of the torch's cable length?

I saw online (do not remember where) that with MIG (GMAW) guns; flowmeters that have a preset PSI, ones with a higher preset PSI should be used if cable lengths have long runs (I'm figuring they mean really, really long runs; but unsure). Does this hold true with TIG (GTAW) torch cable lengths? I searched some online, but my keyword searches were not bringing up much information other than the mentioning about the MIG gun.

Any shielding problems using a flowmeter with a preset pressure of 25-30 psi with a torch cable length of 25 ft?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I have tig welded off of as much as 200 ft of lead and 100 ft of gas hose. I just set the cfm on the tank a bit higher but that is with a valve at the torch so I could just open it till it sounded right. However if your useing a solenoid to control gas flow it is possible that you may need to increase pressure/ psi not cfm. There are some calculations you could do to figure out exactly how much pressure would need to increase based on hose size, hose material, and flow characteristics of argon. Oh and cfm requirements at a given pressure rateing. And flow characteristics like if you want to keep down turbulence in your gas stream. I like the it sounds like enough gas to me method. :D
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:26 am

Or you could go the easiest way and buy shielding gas flow tester for $15ish. Basically just a ball flow meter with a rubber funnel . Hold your torch straight up, press the meter on and read the ACTUAL CFM at your torch.
gas flow tester.png
gas flow tester.png (108.85 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
Ryan

Miller Dynasty 350 w/wireless pedal
Miller 350P with standard torch and XR-Aluma-Pro
Miller Multimatic 200 w/spool gun w/wireless pedal
Miller Spectrum 375 X-TREME
Smith torches
Optrel e684
Miller Digital Elite
Miller Weld-Mask
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Why do it the easy way when you can use complex algebraic calculations and spend hours. :D
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Easy? For people into Tig welding?

That'll never catch on!

Kym
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

MosquitoMoto wrote:Easy? For people into Tig welding?

That'll never catch on!

Kym
I have a profax flowmeter that in LPM just so I have to figure out the SAE flowrate :D:D
Didn't know when I ordered it as it was not specified. They are a US company I figured if would be in CFH. So it was obviously designed for TIG welders.

Sent from mobile. Not responsible for Typos
    Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:26 am

soutthpaw wrote:x flowmeter that in LPM just so I have to figure out the SAE flowrate :D:D
LPM?

What is that, like Sillymeters or AL-u-min-e-um? :lol:
Ryan

Miller Dynasty 350 w/wireless pedal
Miller 350P with standard torch and XR-Aluma-Pro
Miller Multimatic 200 w/spool gun w/wireless pedal
Miller Spectrum 375 X-TREME
Smith torches
Optrel e684
Miller Digital Elite
Miller Weld-Mask
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

xryan wrote:Or you could go the easiest way and buy shielding gas flow tester for $15ish. Basically just a ball flow meter with a rubber funnel . Hold your torch straight up, press the meter on and read the ACTUAL CFM at your torch.
+1
I use a similar device - works very well.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I just bought a Profax one as well, but instead of calculating the L/hr to CFM every time I need it, or working up a chart to put nearby, I'm planning to print a clear p-touch label tape scale to stick down the opposite side of the meter.
I figure a little bit of tinkering with the math of the meter flow range and length and I should be able to accurately print a CFM scale.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

1 lpm = 2.12 cfh

So just multiplying by 2 in your head will do it with very little error.

But, no harm in making a label :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.