Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Ford8N
    Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:24 pm

New to this machine and tig welding. What's the best way to start and foot pedal position when starting. I've been experimenting on 1/8 and 1/4" cold rolled. Also what is a good setting for regulator/flow. I'm using a 7 standard cup and 3/32 tungsten.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Welcome to the forum! I would recommend 15 cfh to start off and adjust to yout liking from there. You might be able to get away with 10 cfh if you don't have any drafts in your work area to save on gas consumption while practicing. I'm not sure what your mean by foot pedal position though.
-Jonathan
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Ford8N wrote:New to this machine and tig welding. What's the best way to start and foot pedal position when starting. I've been experimenting on 1/8 and 1/4" cold rolled. Also what is a good setting for regulator/flow. I'm using a 7 standard cup and 3/32 tungsten.
15cfh is good.
I'd reccomend a gas Lens from HTP.

For starting, I would prop the cup on the metal, holding your tungsten a 1/16" away, then press the pedal, till you hear the gas kick on, then a little more pedal, and rock the tungsten down, and pull back.
Your arc shoul start, and you should be in the 10amp range or so.
Then accelerate till you get a puddle, then start welding.
Jody's got a few videos that would be a lot of help.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Ford8N
    Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:24 pm

Thanks for the help. I've been watching the tig videos and ordered Jodys gas lense kit. I've been stick and mig welding for many years, but tig is a new challenge.
Captainbeaky
    Fri May 29, 2015 6:00 pm

Yeah, Tig is a whole new world after MIG and stick welding.
Practice practice practice..
I'm having a lot of fun with the TIG brazing - it's a novelty to be able to join two dissimilar non-ferrous metals, or successfully repair cast iron manifolds etc.

I found that some cheaper welders don't start too well at very low power settings.
My cheap Tig set needs a bit of "welly" to initially strike the arc, and I can then back off the power if I need to.

Before I got my arc start, I had to practice striking the arc to get the feel of it.