Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
GaveUpOnTV
    Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:57 pm

HI,
I am just wondering how toxic tungsten is and if I should take more precautions while grinding my electrodes. Is tungsten considered a 'heavy metal' (like lead is)?
I have my 'shop' indoors, and it's in my living quarters, so any dust will fall on the carpet and I vacuum it up.
Just wondering-TIA!
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Just to be clear. Are you welding and grinding in a carpeted area?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

GaveUpOnTV wrote:HI,
I am just wondering how toxic tungsten is and if I should take more precautions while grinding my electrodes. Is tungsten considered a 'heavy metal' (like lead is)?
I have my 'shop' indoors, and it's in my living quarters, so any dust will fall on the carpet and I vacuum it up.
Just wondering-TIA!

You better have good insurance.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

:o :shock: Dude! Some tungstens are RADIOACTIVE! :shock: :( :roll: :P
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

A surprising number of household items are radioactive. Don't worry about it.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

do you plan on snorting it? :lol:
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

Thoriated tungstens are radioactive, but Thorium emits only alpha radiation. Which is not that harmfull on skin, but inhaling it is. Also I would not inhale any heavy metal dust etc. Those are never good to your health.
Nowadays some brands are trying to avoid selling Thoriated tungstens, because it's harder to ship.

I wouldn't worry dust on the ground that much, but grinding the tungsten should be done with dust collecting machine or vacuum that will suck the dust away.

Characteristics of Alpha Radiation

1. Alpha radiation is not able to penetrate skin.

2. Alpha-emitting materials can be harmful to humans if the materials are inhaled, swallowed, or absorbed through open wounds.

3. A variety of instruments have been designed to measure alpha radiation. Special training in use of these instruments is essential for making accurate measurements.

4. A civil defense instrument (CD V-700) cannot detect the presence of radioactive materials that produce alpha radiation unless the radioactive materials also produce beta and/or gamma radiation.

5. Instruments cannot detect alpha radiation through even a thin layer of water, blood, dust, paper, or other material, because alpha radiation is not penetrating.

6. Alpha radiation travels a very short distance through air.

7. Alpha radiation is not able to penetrate turnout gear, clothing, or a cover on a probe. Turnout gear and dry clothing can keep alpha emitters off of the skin.

[Source: https://orise.orau.gov/reacts/guide/alpha.htm]
-Markus-
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Pure tungsten, by itself, is so nearly inert as to be a "zero" health risk on it's own. Hell, it won't even oxidize unless it's so hot it's still glowing.

The alloying elements used in various tungstens are also mostly inert at room temperature. As mentioned, Thorium is the only one with a potential health hazard, but it's no more radioactive than the Americium in you smoke detectors. The only difference is the dust created when grinding it, and you've seen sound advice if this hazard concerns you... Ventilation/dust control will minimize exposure, and if you want to get anal about it, keep a dedicated "particulate" respirator by your grinder to catch any dust you might breathe.

Steve S
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Let's get back to the fact that his shop in his living quarters. I understand times can be tough my friend, but grinding anything with a grinder inside is normally sketchy to say the least.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
TwentyFourSeven
    Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:41 pm

Do your grinding outside or have a fan blowing or vacuum the dust out.
Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

GaveUpOnTV wrote:HI,
Just wondering-TIA!
Safe enough to use as a toothpick and to clean your fingernails.

Welding around carpet is much more dangerous ;)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Tungsten is very toxic, you should always handle it with gloves.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

If you need to do welding in a room in your house then I would suggest that you take up different work. Thankfully you're not using stick. I have a dedicated workshop and no matter how careful I am the place has dust buildup everywhere.