Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
p40whk
    Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:04 pm

Hi all,

Got a new TIG on order and obviously I'll need consumables, a bottle, stand, and gas but being a long time MIG and stick welder and new to TIG was wondering what else the "Need to have" and Nice to have" items are? Is there some sort of getting started list or guide available? My searches didn't turn up much.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to make up my mind and my budget for a starter TIG unit and decided to go with the AHP AlphaTig 200 for a few reasons; Good reviews, in my budget, I'm a light duty user, and I didn't want to fork over 3 times the amount for a better machine just starting out.

I read through this review http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... 200#p54093 as well as ChuckE2009 and various other youtube reviews to help make my decision.

Are there any upgrades to this machine that I should consider? I ordered the 2016 model so it does have the latest upgrades listed in the thread I linked above.

My primary reason to upgrade to a TIG (from a Hobart handler 175) is I've had many needs to weld aluminum and want to learn a new skill. I have a Trailer I'll be building this spring out of steel as well as some aluminum projects that are mostly small scale.

I'm an ex aircraft mechanic and have some stick welding experience as well as MIG experience but don't weld for a living. I weld because I really enjoy it and am hoping the TIG will continue that mindset.

Any advice for a Newb would be appreciated. I may upgrade the torch but don't know enough yet to make an informed decision of what to buy for this. This is my learning machine so I'd like to set it up so I have minimal frustrations.

Thanks!
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Welcome
Read the Manual then read it again.
I like Ck Flexlok Torchs with super flex hose.(opinion)
Clean material and clean tungsten’s.
When posting, pictures and machine settings etc.
Lots experience on this forum to help .
Addictive and rewarding hobby
Enjoy Search old threads lots of answers available.
Tig likes one to follow the basics for good welds.
Consumables are not equal, are not = in quality :(
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

I also got an AlphaTiG 200x as a beginning TIG machine. The torch isn't too bad (based on my minimal experience), but I put a stubby gas lens kit from Jody's weldmonger store on it. Seems to make it balance better in the hand. I think my first major upgrade to the unit will be a more conventional foot pedal. The one that came with it works, but it's kind of an unnatural motion to me. We'll see how I like the machine after some more seat time with it.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Hi, If your order has not yet shipped or shipped this week, you will get the 2016 version with the upgraded Orange torch. Here is a pic of everything I took when I was testing my current batch of machines prior to shipping. Image
p40whk

Just placed the order last night so good to know the torch has been upgraded! Looks like the regulator has been updated as well?

Not sure why my last reply didn't post but thanks for the suggestions guys. I do like the idea of the stubby gas lens so I may look into that.

will post pics and settings once I get a chance to use it.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

All the 2016 models have the flowmeter. That was one of my recommendations when I was testing these. I would use the existing torch and pedal before you think about upgrading. They are more than sufficient for most hobby weldors. 2% Lanthanated tungsten works great with these machines. A gas lens kit is a great upgrade. I have a gas lens kit that I sell at cost with a machine purchase. they will save you 20-40% of gas use depending on whose sale literature you believe. CK claims it's 40% I have found weldingsupply.com to have great prices on filler metal.
p40whk

Southpaw, your review of this machine pushed me over the edge to buy. Thank you for the detailed review, I do appreciate it. It's good to see that the company is listening to reviewers. I have an AirGas store here by my work and have been changing my bottles and supplies out with them for a while, but they don't have the the largest selection of supplies so I'll probably be purchasing most of the consumables online.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

End grinder air or electric. Everyone has a 4-1/4 in grinder but you will use an end grinder almost as much once you have one. And a portaban saw.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
p40whk

Poland308 wrote:End grinder air or electric. Everyone has a 4-1/4 in grinder but you will use an end grinder almost as much once you have one. And a portaban saw.
I have a pneumatic right angle grinder but not sure what you mean by "end grinder" are you talking about a tungsten sharpener? I've had my eye on the portabands and the Swag offload setup. Just bought a set of their dies for the harbor freight tube roller and saw their portaband table.

Speaking of tungsten grinding, is that chemical grind any good?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

End grinder / Die grinder but not the right angle one its just straight.
I have more questions than answers

Josh