Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
baldysm
    Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:50 pm

I am very noob when it comes to welding, but definitely need to get skilled at it. The speed of MIG is not something that I would need.

I am looking for recommendations and I'm confused about which machine to get. I have 220v single phase power available. Having AC to do aluminum is low priority as I don't ever see myself really needing to do it (other than for practice as suggested on this site someplace), but I'm also of the mindset getting more capability is always better.

I would be welding mild steel (both cold rolled and hot rolled) for the most part to start. Occasionally I can see something like O1 drill rod or 4140 in the future for steels. I know that scale on HRS is an issue on some welding methods. I think that 3/16" capacity would be big enough for my needs, maybe even 1/8", but I'm not real sure how to judge the capacity I need. Mainly home shop variety work is what I would be doing.

One big thing that I would need to be able to do is TIG titanium (6al4v mainly). .04" thick titanium and both pieces smaller than 3/4" x 2" long, and the weld itself would be contained in a 1/2" x 1/2" square area.

Stick welding would be a plus, as I think it would work on HRS better (but my memory of what I read could be faulty).

I'm confused between inverter and a plain TIG welder (not even sure if there is a difference). All the marketing speak for the fancy features between manufacturers has my eyes spinning.

Can anyone recommend a TIG welder that would fit my needs? I'm thinking something mid-range, not top of the line, that has the ability to adjust more than just amperage to tweak things in (when my skill level gets to that point).

Thanks
WILD BILL
    Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:03 pm

Can anyone recommend a TIG welder that would fit my needs? I'm thinking something mid-range, not top of the line, that has the ability to adjust more than just amperage to tweak things in (when my skill level gets to that point).

I went through those same questions when researching machines and decided that the Everlast best fit my wants and budget.
Everlast 225LX
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

I'm kinda in the same boat you are, cept I'm broke and probably can't afford to actually buy a new machine anytime soon. But, here are some of the things I've researched-

1-Almost any machine (specifically the inverters) that has DCEN can be converted to a TIG welder, and visa versa. So any tig welder you get can do stick too, with the right accessories. Just wont do everything a dedicated tig machine can/would do.

2-The inverters are the newest, hi-tech, smallest/light weight, best arc characteristics, **most expensive** machines. You should definately compare the 20 pound, 2grand+ inverter to a 100 pound, under 1500 transformer-rectifier(older tech)

3-Everlast makes some decent inverter welders with all kinds of bells and whistles, and the price is usually under an american-made transformer-rectifier(i.e. under 1500 bucks. Some models go for under 1k) IF you dont mind the chinese stuff(still have an issue with that myself)

Keep in mind titanium welding(at least from my understanding) is some of the hardest welding there is. It also should be done in an enviroment completey purged from the atmosphere, like a plexiglass box or something of the sort. Not usualy something you would be doing at your house, but from the stuff your talking about welding, sounds like your in a decent sized shop.

In the end, if it comes down to price, think about it this way-do you want a stick machine you can tig with, or a dedicated tig machine that does everything tig + stick.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
joeadams
    Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:10 am

Welder in Australia having strong skills on Tig and Mig Welding work......i will be glad if i can suggest the right one
Joe Adams always likes to share on welding equipment usages. In more her also suggest welder is supplies welding equipment sydney, welding machine, mig/tig welding, equipments tools.
mspaul
    Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:40 am

Hi, :lol: :roll:

I was just browsing for relevant forum posts for my project research and I happened to discover yours. Thanks for the useful information!

Regards, :ugeek:
Tig welder
gurew
    Thu May 06, 2010 2:54 pm

find a used miller dynasty 200dx...you will be most happy with how awesome the welder is...and if tig doesnt work out for you, generally you can sell it for exactly what you paid
Zoomie
    Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:07 pm

Miller, Esab and Lincoln make some awesome machines! Can't fault Gurew's response at all. I on the other hand went with one of the asian machines (Everlast) and have been well pleased. The price was right, the machine capable and tech/support excellent. It was a great decision for"me"! Nope. No affiliation with Everlast other than my purchase. And, yes I do own a Miller (MIG) too.
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

On the Inverter vs. Transformer subject - The inverters are far more versatile. They're energy mizers compared to Transformer units and far more portable. I had a Lincoln Precision TIG 225 and it really spun the meter. I sold the Lincoln for the same money I bought it for (that's a good point by the way) and I bought an Everlast 250EX. The difference in my Power bill is evidence enough for me.

Inverters also tend to have more features built in. Although you might not understand them at this point, at some time you'll probably want them. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to go buy something less and then find you need the options later. The resale value should also be better should you decide it's not the path you want to be on. I have the Everlast now but I've got my eye on a Miller Dynasty 350. The 200DX is nice until you get into thicker Aluminum. Pulsed MIG has also been catching my eye and is something to consider depending on what type of welding your interested in.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

baldysm,

During my search for the right TIG welder for me, I reviewed all of the spec sheets for features I wanted, compared what the TIG welder will be used for with respect to the welding equipment I already own, then made my purchase.

I selected the Lincoln Precision TIG 225 (I like transformer/rectifier machines for one reason, reliability.) which fills a gap between my Millermatic 251 with 30A Spool Gun and my Millermatic XP130 (loaded with Flux Core wire, provides portability and 115V connection for outdoor repairs). The TIG welder will provide DCEN for sheet steel gauges 3 thru 38, sheet stainless gauges 7 thru 31, and AC for sheet aluminum gauges 7 thru 31. A side benefit is the DCEP for stick welding with 6011 and 7018 rods.

If I did not have any other welders, and welding greater than 3/16" aluminum was a requirement, then I would save my money and purchase a Miller Dynasty 350 TIGRunner Complete Package.

Wob
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12