Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
BigD
    Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:56 pm

For you guys who weld racecar cages or similar, what do you use for a trigger? I can make use of the pedal in some cases but when I'm hanging over a sharp ridge with my ribs, welding behind a pipe in a footwell, trying to work the pedal with my knee.... sucks. I think I'm gonna try a torch switch with some 2T or even 4T. My local shop has a good price on the Miller thumbwheel control but I'm not sure that's any better than a button with some downslope, where I can pulse it manually to readjust instead of shaking the torch around while trying to turn a wheel.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
BigD

I've made my own. I'm just asking what experienced cage builders do. If you try to use the pedal or just stick to a switch or some linear controller.
    Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

I've always used the pedal, behind my knee, elbow, neck, leg, between my knees or wherever I could get it and still push it down.
Freddie
BigD

Have you tried a switch, you still prefer the pedal even in the really contorted areas?
    Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

Yea, I tried a switch, but I couldn't move my hand around on the torch when I needed to.
Freddie
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I also prefer the pedal but I've done my share as scratch start....
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
BigD

Oh ok I see, yeah that was my main concern getting one of the Miller setups like the thumbwheel. I'm thinking of using my flex head and putting a velcro ring around it, and the complementing velcro on the button. That way I can put the button anywhere around the torch
AFR_Autoworks
    Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:35 am

My last welder I used a switch for the whole cage because the pedal was impossible to keep stationary. Since getting my Miller I have been in foot pedal bliss. I would never go back. Also, if you find yourself in really bad positions duct tape the pedal to your foot so you can push it against anything you can find. I have never had much luck using my knees like some guys can. I was even thinking about attaching some Velcro straps to my pedal for this very reason.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

AFR
thought i was the only nut to tape
the peddle to my foot. i was lying
on my back welding a replacement hitch
on trailer. just pushed it against the
tire.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Most of my welding is field pressure piping. Mostly this is done in these parts with scratch start but I prefer hf start. I have a small button 2T switch zip tied to my torches which gives me the extra benefit of downslope pulsing. Being zip tied I can spin it around the torch to a comfortable location for when I change hands or position. Works very well. Can't stand thumb wheels and the like. Pedals are great for shop work but if you're up a ladder or in awkward positions on site you quickly realize the pedal should have been left in the shop.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
BigD

Thanks for the input guys! Taping the pedal is a cool idea, especially with the wireless. I just might try that.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I'm also a proud member of taping pedals, and I've also had some one be my foot pedal if I'm not by myself has to be someone that welds if you want them to understand what a little more is....my wife just didn't get it..lol
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
BigD

Hmm, voice controlled foot pedal... take that Miller!

I tried the switch last night, definitely the way to go for what I was doing but I can see if the metal was thin, varying thickness, had gaps etc it just wouldn't work. Or I would at best have to stop and readjust all the time. But welding the cage joints with good fitup it was great

BigD wrote:Hmm, voice controlled foot pedal... take that Miller!
Voice control with heads up display showing amps, wire speed (MIG), voltage...or...
Richard
Website