Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
quacksalot
    Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:02 pm

I decided to purchase one of the 3-in-1 machines on Ebay that looked like a good deal and be able to do some more hobby work that can included welding now.

I've gotten the machine, and as I've come to realize that there is no manual and no instructions... I have the "I don't want to wire it wrong an have it explode" worries that I'm sure many have had before me. AND SO! I don't have the fainest clue what else I need to do to get it up and running.

Anyone else whose purchased a Chinese CT520D and not killed themselves who could help me out a bit to get my gear running without electrocuting myself would be great. I'd like to run it on 110v and I'm also curious what kind of protection for household circuits I might want to think about before running it in the backyard. I am also not sure what else I need besides the gear that was included, an argon tank with a regulator, and apparently an air compressor.

Just remember that this guy is a total newb when it comes to welding. So breaking it down barney style would be great.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

The add on eBay says auto voltage detection. Did it not come without a plug or no power wires?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

quacksalot wrote:I decided to purchase one of the 3-in-1 machines on Ebay that looked like a good deal and be able to do some more hobby work that can included welding now.

I've gotten the machine, and as I've come to realize that there is no manual and no instructions... I have the "I don't want to wire it wrong an have it explode" worries that I'm sure many have had before me. AND SO! I don't have the fainest clue what else I need to do to get it up and running.

Anyone else whose purchased a Chinese CT520D and not killed themselves who could help me out a bit to get my gear running without electrocuting myself would be great. I'd like to run it on 110v and I'm also curious what kind of protection for household circuits I might want to think about before running it in the backyard. I am also not sure what else I need besides the gear that was included, an argon tank with a regulator, and apparently an air compressor.

Just remember that this guy is a total newb when it comes to welding. So breaking it down barney style would be great.
First, you need to watch some videos and educate yourself about what it is, you're undertaking. If the "beast" you bought didn't even come with a wiring schematic, I would see about getting your money back. At the very least, you should find a qualified electrician to hook it up for you instead of coming to a welding forum and asking for help. Granted, the worse thing that would happen is that your breaker would trip if it is too small but there is a bit of a learning curve when you get into welding. Good luck.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Sandow
    Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:52 pm

There are piles of companies selling the ct520d under their brand and at least on amazon the reviews aren't bad. Lotos has a manual posted here:

http://www.uwelding.com/v/vspfiles/manu ... 0D-V.1.pdf

-Sandow
Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, an iron smell, and a babel of iron sounds.
-Charles Dickens
quacksalot
    Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:02 pm

Thanks a lot Sandow. I have been trying to find a manual for the thing for a while and it's just been sitting there. Does anyone have a suggestion for what gauge cable to wire it up too? I am a capable mechanic and I'm not worried about connecting a plug to it now that I finally have a manual.

quacksalot wrote:Thanks a lot Sandow. I have been trying to find a manual for the thing for a while and it's just been sitting there. Does anyone have a suggestion for what gauge cable to wire it up too? I am a capable mechanic and I'm not worried about connecting a plug to it now that I finally have a manual.
The manual should tell you how many amps it will draw from the line, and may have a recommendation for a suggested breaker capacity. The wire gauge would be what ever is appropriate for the breaker. There are ampacity charts all over the internet and in the NEC. You're on the right track.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Sandow
    Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:52 pm

Chart says 12 gauge but I'd do 10 for a reasonable length power cable and 8 of you are going to put a long one on it. More than that and the wires in the wall will be the week point.

-Sandow
Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, an iron smell, and a babel of iron sounds.
-Charles Dickens
HitMissTom
    Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:18 am

Lots of good feedback to think about. Is it 110 or 220, or both? If it is 220v the current capacity of the wire size can be less. But if you use that size you most likely won't be safe running at 110. Best to wire to the worst case condition, maximum amperage. Are you going to feed direct from the main box, via a dedicated 2 pole 220 breaker and wire, or will some existing intermediate wiring be involved. If intermediate wiring be sure to know it's capacity. I would assume you will be wiring directly from the main panel, which would be best, but not knowing the entire layout that's a guess on my part. Your wiring has to be designed on the voltage 110 or 220 (some machines can run on either) and the maximum current. It's not rocket science, but you better know what you are doing for safety sake.