Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
koolkat3551
    Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:28 pm

I have an everlast mts 200 and I am trying to tig weld with this machine but it seems to establish a really small arc when I first strike up an arc. I usually try to put in a root around 80 amps for tig on carbon steel pipe with 1/8 " 70s-6. It seems like it starest a really small arc with the torch switch fully depressed then will gradually get bigger. Like I said I usually run at 80 amps but I have to run around 95 or 100 to get the same feeling out of this machine. It come with a 1/16 tig collet but I put in a 1/8 tig collet. Can this be causing some of the arc problems or is there a certain setting on the machine that will fix this? It showseems settings for tig slope and some variations for the foot pedal as well.
Harry72
    Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:59 am

Do you have the manual http://www.everlastgenerators.com/sites ... 20250s.pdf

Sounds like the ramp up has been set for an extended time?
koolkat3551
    Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:28 pm

I figured it was probably some to do with the wave. No big deal I was planning to order a regular scratch start tig rig that runs from the bottle and not through a solenoid inside the machine. I received it today and hooked it up just like any standard scratch start tig rig and everything is running fine. I will still save the old rig that come with the machine incase I need to weld with a high freq switch for certain applications.