Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
LIGOOMBA
    Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:18 pm

I don't post much just read and try to obtain take in as much information as possible.Im just a novice hobby welder .I want to start practicing more tig at work.I get an hour lunch so I figure 15 minutes to eat and the rest I will be able to practice .I want to focus on aluminum.Other than Jodie's aluminum drill what do you guys suggest I do ? I have access to just about anything type of scrap that there is ,round,square tubing flat sheets etc... .The metal is all new as My boss doesn't care as long as it's scrap.We have water cooled Dynasty 200s as well as 350s.I have a 180 syncro at home , I know it's totally different .The welding supervisor said he will help me out as far as learning the machines.I would just like some ideas.
Thanks
Louie ("aka"Long Island Goomba)

That's a sweet deal you have going there, I'd suggest starting with flat plate and running beads. Maybe use 2 or 3 plates so they don't get too hot, you'll notice the difference between a cold and hot plate.

Also you can use 1/8" sheet and do lap and tee joints.
Richard
Website
LIGOOMBA

LtBadd wrote:That's a sweet deal you have going there, I'd suggest starting with flat plate and running beads. Maybe use 2 or 3 plates so they don't get too hot, you'll notice the difference between a cold and hot plate.

Also you can use 1/8" sheet and do lap and tee joints.
Thanks ,I know about the using a few plates . I learned the hot and cold plate differance on my own.LOL.
Didn't think about the T joints, I'll start out with some flat plate/beads and once I get that down I'll do some Ts and make some corner joints .Just looking for some ideas .I don't want to get too ahead of myself yet. LOL.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Since you don't have to invest in a machine,try out different size,types of collets,gas lenses,stubby kits,types of tungsten etc. Start building a personnel serious torch kit. A small change on the torch can change a impossible to weld joint to merely difficult.
Admire the ambition to use the lunch for further self education, the offer from the weld supervisor deserves a treat(6 pack).
Reading is research,forums are opinions to point to the direction the reading should take.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
LIGOOMBA

rick9345 wrote:Since you don't have to invest in a machine,try out different size,types of collets,gas lenses,stubby kits,types of tungsten etc. Start building a personnel serious torch kit. A small change on the torch can change a impossible to weld joint to merely difficult.
Admire the ambition to use the lunch for further self education, the offer from the weld supervisor deserves a treat(6 pack).
Reading is research,forums are opinions to point to the direction the reading should take.
I have a pretty good torch kit at home I just don't know how to apply it.Like I stated I have SD180 with a homemade cooler and W20 torch .Ive got a pretty good selection torch kit.Got some long and short and short gas lenses .My next,I new net is that big 12 cup that Jodie uses or the one from toxic fab. As far as tungston I use 2% lanthinated as per Jodie's recommendation.They use Gold and gray/orange at the shop, I forgot which color replaced which one.I Will definitely take care of him.The guy is an incredible machinist as well as a phenomenal welder .Super nice guy .I figure that I can use that 30-45 minutes to do something useful and that I enjoy .I just started today for 20 minutes .Holy crap that machine is incredible to weld with with compared to my syncro wave.Its so smooth.I just ran a bunch of beads on some steel to get used to it .He said do this for the rest of the week so I can get used to the machine .Next week I'm gonna dive into some .090 aluminum plate. I will post when I'm not to embarrassed.
Thank you .
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

Here's a thread about a tubing drill I do regularly in all materials, especially if I haven't worked with a particular material in a while.

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=5&t=8476
LIGOOMBA

zank wrote:Here's a thread about a tubing drill I do regularly in all materials, especially if I haven't worked with a particular material in a while.

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=5&t=8476
I'm gonna arrempt that as soon as I figure out what I'm doing .LOL