Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
metaldreams
    Sun May 24, 2015 7:25 pm

I am trying to butt joint some 2" aluminum square tubing which is 1/8th inch diameter. when I weld it together i am not getting complete penetration. Should I expect to be able to get a full penetration weld on this thick of aluminum? I don't really need a structurally perfectly strong joint but would love to know what the gold standard for this type of joint should be. Should I bevel the edge of aluminum to improve penetration? How would a professional approach this joint?
Sandow
    Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:52 pm

Are you mating the plates up flush or leaving a gap between them?

-Sandow
Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, an iron smell, and a babel of iron sounds.
-Charles Dickens
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Don't bevel, gap them a little bit.....a LITTLE bit (less than a dime thickness). Tack on the corners and run tack to tack. Don't really need gap at all, CJP not really required as you stated but easier to see the line.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
metaldreams
    Sun May 24, 2015 7:25 pm

I was not leaving a gap so I will try that. Thank for the replies
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Unless you are used to doing open root...... if your filler wire falls through the gap, it's to big.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla