Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

So here is the quick question.
I have access to a large volume of 316 stainless sheet stock.

All I have is filler I been using on 304 along with some 309L rods.

Is it best to get the 316 filler rod or can either of these be used instead.

I have about 10lbs of the 309 but have never worked with 316 before.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

DSM8 wrote:So here is the quick question.
I have access to a large volume of 316 stainless sheet stock.

All I have is filler I been using on 304 along with some 309L rods.

Is it best to get the 316 filler rod or can either of these be used instead.

I have about 10lbs of the 309 but have never worked with 316 before.
You should use 316L filler rod...
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
DSM8

Rick_H wrote:You should use 316L filler rod...
Yeah that is what I figured....guess I have an order to place...
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

When is 316LSi not a good rod to use?
(Disregard disimilar materials)
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

AndersK wrote:When is 316LSi not a good rod to use?
On 316 I don't think it is ever bad, the only difference I have ever heard or seen with (Lsi) is wet out. The increase in silicone makes the welds wet out a little better, otherwise it is pretty much identical.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Rick_H wrote:
AndersK wrote:When is 316LSi not a good rod to use?
On 316 I don't think it is ever bad, the only difference I have ever heard or seen with (Lsi) is wet out. The increase in silicone makes the welds wet out a little better, otherwise it is pretty much identical.
The last shop I worked at we always used argon with 2% hydrogen which helped with penetration and wetting out.
Richard
Website
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

When should I use 308L, 309L or 316L filler metal?
308L (including ER308LSi) is predominately used on austenitic stainless steels, such as types 301, 302, 304, 305 and cast alloys CF-8 and CF-3. For high temperature applications such as in the electrical power industry, the high carbon 308H electrode provides better creep resistance than does 308L.

316L (including ER316LSi) filler metal should be used with 316L and 316 base metals. CF-8M and CF-3M are the cast equivalents of 316 and 316L, respectively.

Use 309L (including ER309LSi) when joining mild steel or low alloy steel to stainless steels, for joining dissimilar stainless steels such as 409 to itself or to 304L stainless, as well as for joining 309 base metal. CG-12 is the cast equivalent of 309. Some 308L applications may be substituted with 309L filler metal, but 316L or 316 applications generally require molybdenum and 309L contains no molybdenum.

Type 347 stainless steel filler metal is ideal for 347 and 321 base materials because it matches these stabilized grades. CF-8C is the cast equivalent of 347. Type 347 filler metal is also suitable most 308L filler metal applications.

Source:http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/su ... etail.aspx
-Markus-
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

But what issues could it be if 316 rods was used to weld all of the materials mentioned?

I have the tables to pick the right rod but nothing stating what could go wrong in different applications/environments if wrong filler is used.
DSM8

To continue on that these what happens if I welded 316 using 304 or 308 rod.
Of those two which would be the better choice to use if 316 filler were not available.

Over alloying or under alloying the weld metal.....

AISI 304 is 18-8 and AISI 316 is 18-10-2 (Cr-Ni-Mo). So there is not a big difference between these two. We also know that these alloys are easy to weld.... Nowadays there is no risk of hot cracking due to low Carbon content. Both alloys can be welded without filler.....

So answer to the original question.. You can use both wires to weld 316 stainless. About that LSi. There is only silicon added to wire that helps the puddle to clean. Nothing major however.
BUT you never mentioned where welded parts are going. Are you doing art welding or products to very corrosive atmosphere???? That is the issue with filler wires in this case.
If you use 304 wire with 316 base. Your welds will definitely corrode from HAZ and it can corrode very fast if atmosphere or liquids are harsh.

What comes to 308.... Forgot that one completely
-Markus-

Markus wrote:Over alloying or under alloying the weld metal.....

AISI 304 is 18-8 and AISI 316 is 18-10-2 (Cr-Ni-Mo). So there is not a big difference between these two. We also know that these alloys are easy to weld.... Nowadays there is no risk of hot cracking due to low Carbon content. Both alloys can be welded without filler.....

So answer to the original question.. You can use both wires to weld 316 stainless. About that LSi. There is only silicon added to wire that helps the puddle to clean. Nothing major however.
BUT you never mentioned where welded parts are going. Are you doing art welding or products to very corrosive atmosphere???? That is the issue with filler wires in this case.
If you use 304 wire with 316 base. Your welds will definitely corrode from HAZ and it can corrode very fast if atmosphere or liquids are harsh.

Don't know about Europe, but not sure I have ever seen a 304 filler, 308 is the typical filler for 304 here.
Richard
Website
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

The LWS here stocks 304-308-309-312-316.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308

I only stock 308-309-316 on my truck for the very reason you mention. That covers me for most anything I see.

Josh

LtBadd wrote:
Markus wrote:Over alloying or under alloying the weld metal.....

Don't know about Europe, but not sure I have ever seen a 304 filler, 308 is the typical filler for 304 here.

That is true. My mistake.
-Markus-
Poland308

Turns out the 304 on the shelf at my LWS is actually 304 SS rod not intended specifically for tig welding but someone ordered it in for an Engineering experiment. They had to get like 50 # and the customer only took 5. So they have had the loose stuff in stock. They keep it with there other rods but when I asked he made sure to point out it was not guaranteed for weld work.

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Poland308 wrote:Turns out the 304 on the shelf at my LWS is actually 304 SS rod not intended specifically for tig welding but someone ordered it in for an Engineering experiment. They had to get like 50 # and the customer only took 5. So they have had the loose stuff in stock. They keep it with there other rods but when I asked he made sure to point out it was not guaranteed for weld work.
What size is it? since it's useless to the LWS, you could catch a bargain, and make grates, say for BBQs and firepits. 1/8" or bigger, and it's good for the grill.

Steve S
Poland308

Done did! It was 1/8. Recently retired guy from out local ( he had a hart transplant) makes signs and name plates useing SS filler wire twisted together with a drill. It's going to him.

Josh
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Don't forget striker clips!
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Poland308

Striker clips?

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

To hang your torch striker from your belt loop, I presume...

Steve S
Poland308

I bought a cricket spark igniter. Lol. No more flints and it fits in a pocket so well I forget where I put it.

Josh