Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
RPat
    Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi guys (and gals):

I haven't posted here in a long time. I've got a Miller 212 MIG 2 years ago but now wishing I had waited to buy a combo MIG/TIG unit. I've read so many reviews my eyes are crossing and now am more confused as ever. I've been looking at the Eastwood, AHP and other Chinese made units but leary of the quality that has typically come with anything Chinese. PLUS the fact they are arrogantly stating "We will be at war with the USA in the future". Comments like that don't help me to consider Chinese. BUT, on the other hand, the prices are mucho lower than the others.

I don't need all of the bells/whistles that you pro's would likely use. I'm looking for this for thin metal welding and mostly will be using it for aluminum (all thicknesses). I don't want to spend the $2000 and higher costs and would prefer to keep it in the $1200 to $1500 range (or lower if possible). (Note: am I asking for the impossible)? So the bottom line question is:

What would YOU recommend?

Thanks for your time and responses,
RPat
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

RPat wrote:Hi guys (and gals):

I haven't posted here in a long time. I've got a Miller 212 MIG 2 years ago but now wishing I had waited to buy a combo MIG/TIG unit. I've read so many reviews my eyes are crossing and now am more confused as ever. I've been looking at the Eastwood, AHP and other Chinese made units but leary of the quality that has typically come with anything Chinese. PLUS the fact they are arrogantly stating "We will be at war with the USA in the future". Comments like that don't help me to consider Chinese. BUT, on the other hand, the prices are mucho lower than the others.

I don't need all of the bells/whistles that you pro's would likely use. I'm looking for this for thin metal welding and mostly will be using it for aluminum (all thicknesses). I don't want to spend the $2000 and higher costs and would prefer to keep it in the $1200 to $1500 range (or lower if possible). (Note: am I asking for the impossible)? So the bottom line question is:

What would YOU recommend?

Thanks for your time and responses,
RPat
You are going to get deluged with responses to this question. I would suggest a used big blue or red before going chinese but thats just me. When I wanted to get back into tig, I shopped Craigslist and found a barely used Syncrowave 200 for peanuts. I used it until my better half bought me a 210 and now I am a demigod :lol: My point is...be wise in your choice. I, for one, will NOT buy chinese if I have a choice. Just my 2 cents.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Ex is right - prepare for the deluge!
'
My story, for what it's worth; as a fairly serious hobbyist focused on motorcycle repair/fabrication, I chose Chinese. Simply because welding is not how I make my living and I can't justify the cost of blue or red.

https://weldingstore.tokentools.com.au/ ... gital.html

However, I researched the daylights out of it, spoke directly with the seller (Australia) and went with a guy who offers a 5-year guarantee and no questions backup. To qualify that, if your machine dies and you call this guy, he will overnight freight you a new one while the other is fixed.

I am super happy with the machine, which is very similar to an Everlast. I can't fault its performance and it has an impressive feature set - ACDC, pulse, a great Hz range, fan on demand, etc. And even happier with the seller - I had what turned out to be a small pedal problem on New Year's Day this year, I called the seller (who was on holidays!) and not only did he answer, he talked me through the problem, diagnosed it and got it sorted. That is proper backup. He always has time for me, whatever my question. (I have no association with this guy and am not a dealer or any such thing.)

So there you go, a survey of one. I'd go Chinese with no hesitation provided you can be sure of the support the seller provides.

Kym
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Low prices usually mean low duty cycle and/or work output.
Running any equipment at max duty cycle will shorten/limit longevity.
When skills grow equipment needs change. My opinion is to grow into equipment,not out of it.
Welcome to tig addiction.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Just the fact that you want to work with aluminum in "all thicknesses" says that you're dreaming. You need a serious machine capable 250A+ with a heavy duty cycle if you plan to weld even 1/4" aluminum constantly.

Oscar wrote:Just the fact that you want to work with aluminum in "all thicknesses" says that you're dreaming. You need a serious machine capable 250A+ with a heavy duty cycle if you plan to weld even 1/4" aluminum constantly.
Yes, aluminum is a different animal, mucho amps unless you're staying with <1/4" material.

I do believe the HTP Invertig is Italian made
Richard
Website
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Oscar wrote:Just the fact that you want to work with aluminum in "all thicknesses" says that you're dreaming. You need a serious machine capable 250A+ with a heavy duty cycle if you plan to weld even 1/4" aluminum constantly.
Definitely need the OP to clarify what thickness he is planning to weld. Also you won't find a combo MIG stick machine that does AC TIG that you need for aluminum. If you have the power, an old Miller or Airco 330amp is tough to beat. I owned a few of them. Next would be a used syncrowave. Being an AHP and Everlast dealer, I can tell you the AHP is tough to beat or find anything even close for the feature set, price and quality. But it will only do down to 20 amps on AC. You may need a machine that goes lower but depends on how thin you want to weld. Seen several folks weld beer cans with the AHP. Personally I Say
Low to mid 20's as minimum gauge for aluminum with AHP
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

I just went through this process myself. I bought an Everlast. I had problems with UPS and then with Everlast. Alex at Everlast suggested l return the welder and buy a welder from a different manufacturer! Solid advice, my HTP221 was shipped yesterday.

sedanman wrote:I just went through this process myself. I bought an Everlast. I had problems with UPS and then with Everlast. Alex at Everlast suggested l return the welder and buy a welder from a different manufacturer! Solid advice, my HTP221 was shipped yesterday.
Good call, you'll love it. Did you order the DV model? Water cooled?
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

+1 Red or Blue.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
sedanman

Oscar wrote:
sedanman wrote:I just went through this process myself. I bought an Everlast. I had problems with UPS and then with Everlast. Alex at Everlast suggested l return the welder and buy a welder from a different manufacturer! Solid advice, my HTP221 was shipped yesterday.
Good call, you'll love it. Did you order the DV model? Water cooled?
I got the water cooler but not the dual voltage. The only real problem l see is that l can no longer blame the machine.
sru_tx
    Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:53 pm

many factors to consider. If you are making a living with this machine then downtime, duty cycle, support are all big bullet points and an investment in your livelihood warrants blue or red.

if you are a serious hobbyist and money is not object then blue or red.

if you are a hobbyist, learning the process, and looking at future project possibilities, then go with one of the highly-rated feature-rich Chinese units. Learn the process, develop the basic skills and upgrade once you hit the lottery,outgrow the machine, or figure exactly what features you need. Buying a new Red or Blue color scheme with the same features will easily be 3-4x more expensive than a chinese.

Using Craigslist will take patience. Finding "deals" on CL varies by region. In my area deals are few and far between.

I have a Chinese TIG and am continually growing my skills. I also have a Craigslist search looking for blue and red machines. That being said, I managed to find a blue MIG after 8 months of CL searching and am happy with that purchase.

good luck.
Figuring out what I want to be when I grow up.

Better to be a "Learn it all" than a "Know it all"

So what was the final verdict?
RPat
    Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:30 pm

I've learned over the years that buying cheaply made "anything" and especially from China has always bitten me "you know where". So I've also learned that waiting, and researching to the inth degree, to make the right decision has always worked out for me. After hearing many opinions, reading many reviews, searching, and researching, the different hardware and especially looking at prices, I've decided to go with the HTP 221 tig welder.
I found out that as time goes on, even red and blue are starting to move, or have moved, their manufacturing to China so why would I want to spend 2, 3 or 4 times the money on these units, hence, my reason for the decision to buy an Italian made HTP unit. Right or wrong, that's my decision.

BUT, I do have another question: Being an advanced hobbyist (not a pro :lol: ) does anyone recommend the HTP water cooler for the htp 221 at my level? For the extra (+/-) $500 I'm debating whether I need it. Thoughts?
THANKS TO EVERYONE for their input.

Yes on cooler for a small torch with large amp capabilities.
Be aware that most coolers add to noise level in shop.
ask Oscar,HTP experienced.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe

Definitely opt for the water cooled 25' torch upgrade. I highly recommend the flex-loc torch. The angle adjustability is awesome and unmatched by flex-head torches.
sedanman

I went with the water cooled HTP 221 but also got an air cooled torch. Sometimes on lower amperage intricate work, I find the air cooled torch more maneuverable as there is only one super flexible cable not 3 and a sheath. Get the water cooled version. Add an air cooled torch. If you get a #9 air cooled torch the consumeables are the same as the #20 water cooled. Upgrading to flex neck torches is a very inexpensive upgrade that you'll be glad you went for

Oscar wrote:Definitely opt for the water cooled 25' torch upgrade. I highly recommend the flex-loc torch. The angle adjustability is awesome and unmatched by flex-head torches.
My choice
CK 9 flex-lok,20 flex-lok series 2 heads
a spare series 3 head for extra heat sink/amperage(interchanges 9& 20)
25 ft superflex hose
CK Master series Micro torch
Riverweld quick connects for all.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe