Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
j_0
  • j_0
    Thu May 26, 2016 10:13 pm

Stainless restaurant prep sink. Can't find any specs. Looks to be 16ga 304. When fabbed, they tacked a few times from the bottom, welded tight on top, THEN, they ground WAY too much material and it is separating. Thinking backer plate and fill the separation. Opinions? Advise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

The best thing would be to close the gap. If you can't you could lay some 1/16" filler in there and walk over the top of it to fuse it all together . You can end up with a big joint but can be build up and shaped afterwards. It is what it is.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Kevin_Holbrook
    Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:02 am

i'm guessing your showing the bottom of the sink

i'd tap the seam back and tack then weld it up from the inside
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Run about 65-70 amps. Use 1/16 or dab at it with 3/32
I have more questions than answers

Josh
j_0
  • j_0

Kevin_Holbrook wrote:i'm guessing your showing the bottom of the sink

nope that is topside around the bowl!

Kevin_Holbrook

j_0 wrote:
Kevin_Holbrook wrote:i'm guessing your showing the bottom of the sink

nope that is topside around the bowl!

if you can get behind the seam i would use a chill block then from the front tack it up nice along the entire seam then weld
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

ID close the seam up, speed tack it every 1/2"-3/4" and weld across the entire seam, pulse if you can and use some small diameter filler. 2.5pps, 50amps, 75% peak, 25% background, .030-.035" filler. The backing block will help you but at those setting you should be able to weld without blowing through.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Id close the seam up, speed tack it every 1/2"-3/4" and weld across the entire seam, pulse if you can and use some small diameter filler. If 16g, 2.5pps, 50amps, 75% peak, 25% background, .030-.035" filler. The backing block will help you but at those setting you should be able to weld without blowing through.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
j_0
  • j_0

Lots of good here. Solution I am picturing now is a combo of replies: close, chill, tack, build, shape.

Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

My concern would be warping. I'd just tack every few inches from the back side after its been pulled together and then take some 2000g sandpaper or steel wool and "rebrush" the finish.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
Kevin_Holbrook

Diesel wrote:My concern would be warping. I'd just tack every few inches from the back side after its been pulled together and then take some 2000g sandpaper or steel wool and "rebrush" the finish.
being a restaurant prep sink ,it's probably already warped or soon will be